Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Big D

Customizing a blank slate

2 posts in this topic

I've read through the posts below and haven't seen the Mainstream Jon Buoy mentioned. I purchased one as my second kayak (first kayak is an as yet uncustomized Perception America with which I am well pleased). Though I anticipate it to be very slow, I don't expect to be racing while I'm out. In fact, because I usually do float trips, slow can actually be a good thing. Also, it's wide enough that I expect to be able to stand and sight fish or cast a fly (at which I am particularly inexpert). Finally, the extra initial stability will give me much more confidence to bring my young (not quite 2 yr old) daughter aboard for trips which don't include hooks and knives.

Because I haven't even taken this boat on one fishing trip, and because it has very few built-in features but tons and tons of deck space, I'd love to hear comments from you more experienced than I on some possibilities for this "blank slate."

Thanks,

Big D

I'm not familiar with the kayak at all so its hard for me to get specific. The first item that separates a recreational kayak from a fishing kayak are rod holders. So I'd start there. You'll need/want tethers for things like pliers, paddle, lip gripper (possibly), etc. These will get you started and once you're out on the water and fishing you'll come up with questions and have a better idea of what you'll want and need.

------------------

baja55@optonline.net

[This message has been edited by JonS (edited 03-05-2003).]