Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
teedubya

Kayak Clothing

13 posts in this topic

At the end of last season I was talking to an old salt at the boat ramp of the nissy and he suggested that I find an alternative to the waders I was wearing to kayak in. Now I was using a wet suit in the summer, which is just fine. But as the weather gets colder and the water temps start to drop, what do you guys wear while Kayaking? In the fall and early Spring. confused.gif

Good ole trusty 5 mm Hodgeman neoprene farmer johns.

Don't listen to drivel that you will drown in them.. they have tremendous buoyancy and yes, I speak from first hand knowledge.

Rest of the year - synthetic black longpants: quick to dry, quick to warm up.

A subject near and dear to my heart.

As a fisherman, I was told for YEARS never to wear waders in water that is over your head. While the drowning myth has been THOROUGHLY debunked, the fact is that you will NEVER be able to remount your kayak if the waders fill up with water. No, water cannot be heavier than water, so you will not be pulled to the bottom ...but you cannot climb out of the water either. Hypothermia will do you in, not drowning.

Sure, you will be reminded that a pullover top, cinched tightly around the waist, combined with a wader belt, will keep almost ALL of the water out of your waders. It is even true! But what happens is that someone gets uncomfortable, and loosens one or both belts, and you are back to square one.

I use a 6mm wetsuit. In warm weather I just wear the body-stocking with a bathing suit. I am looking for protection from the Sun, more than anything else. When it cools down, on goes the Farmer John wetsuit. I have a jacket for when it gets even colder, but I only used that once. It turns out that I have no need to "stretch the season" and by the time that the jacket is needed, I don't feel like kayaking!

If the Neoprene waders are bouyant, that's great. Just cut off the boots and you are safe.

AMMO

Dry top and bottom, got to make sure you get the two to merge well in the middle. Or, 5-7mm wetsuit/farmer johns. Drysuits are great but expensive. Wetsuits are actually the easiest to get on/off.

I agree with the wader stuff (and I've even tried them). Very comfortable until you go over in deep water.

Wear the waders and wear em right.

Dont sweat it.Belt em and wear the right top.I also sock down my Pfd straps good and tight.

Walked into the water almost shoulder deep and didnt get wet or any seepage to speak of.My top has the latex seals and the double waist.

JimW went for a swim when he was wearing waders and a splash top.He went over in a big wave on a reef in the crush zone.He had on a splash top on with no latex seals.He hardly got wet.

Had no problem getting back onto his yak.

When you do go over your not going to be hanging out in the water waiting for them to fill up.Your going to be getting back onto the yak.

If they are worn properly you should be able to get back onto your yak WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY before they have enough water in them to hold ya down.

Wearing breathables with a good Top is the next best thing to a dry suit.If you plan on staying in the water a while get a dry suit.

Wet suits are wet.

They are better for sports when you spend more time in the water than out of it.

I rather be dry.

JoeV

Lots of good advice... I have a DRY top with rubber seals around the neck and wrists. All to keep that bubble of air inside the top so water won't enter thru the double waist seals and belts of my breathable waders. Wear enough fleece and other stuff and make sure your PFD is cinched down tight like a girlde and you have a system that will allow you to remount safely.

Good article about dressing for cold water yak trips in the current NJ Angler Magazine (Feb issue). The author likes a "dry system". It's a good read.

Got a question regarding dry tops...Im looking for one, not a store in my area that sells em either, ...my question is does any one here know of a dry top for a Big guy. Im 6'6" 270 lbs with long arms any help would be appreciated.

Newbie here - I've been yakin for two years now and finally got the set-up manageable. My friend suggested a dry-top + breathables. So far I've been using 5mm neoprene bootfoot and I'm picking up a Simms dry-top (expensive - thanks for the gift certificate bro!) or one of the dry tops from EMS.

I have a sit-on-top Ocean yak with two rod holders in the back, a paddle clamp on the side and a useless hatch in the bow.