Best leader line?

Rate this topic

yozeph

Honestly, I've tried almost everything ever made, can't say i see any difference in pefrormance between regular mono lines, leader material line or flouro. Now, I just buy a good quality 40# mono line and use it as needed. Alot cheaper and it is more flexible and ties better than leader lines. As for flouro, it may have its place in different waters, but for mostly nightly fishing in NJ, I never saw the difference.

"Thats as big as a fish that size gets" - Russ Wilson
RIP JM

I have a friend with sharp teeth. I watched him chew through 3 or 4 brands of florocarbon. The Seaguar was the toughest by far. That said, I use 50 lb BigGame mono, I like clear better than the green, but right now I have 1/4 pound of the green.

.........Elvis lives....2020

I don't know how you guys tie 80# leaders!:b: Anything more than 40# and I have difficulty, I break nails, fail with the knots, and occasionally fall on my tush.:banghd: I only tie the 40's and anything heavier I would crimp (I never use heavier). I also use the fluro as it is a little tougher and god forbid I'm in clear water in the daytime I don't want to have any reason for a refusal. Usually carry both (mono & fluro) but if I'm only using one I choose the fluro.

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."  

~Henry David Thoreau
(member formerly known as MV Bluefish)

1 spool in my bag..............20 lb. Fluoro Anytime,any place,any fish. Period.

+1, i use 20 more than any other strength, always does the job and it's thin enough for great presentations and knot tying.

30 lb fluoro, Seaguar I think, for most of my striper fishing.  I use 20 lb mono a lot too with no break offs really.  Chunking / live lining and tog fishing is different, usually do 50 lb mono there.  Setting the hook with so much more force than my usually plugging requires beefed up tackle. 

I would only use heavier leader if i was perched on a rock, for sand you can just use the waves to beach fish.

With live lining in particular i never go with anything more than 20 because anything heavier weighs down your bait and the stiffness of heavier leaders definitely impedes the baits movements and not in a good way. Regarding setting the hook , i set the hook the same regardless of leader strength especially for 20 or above, never had an issue yet.

I don't know how you guys tie 80# leaders!:b: Anything more than 40# and I have difficulty, I break nails, fail with the knots, and occasionally fall on my tush.:banghd: I only tie the 40's and anything heavier I would crimp (I never use heavier). I also use the fluro as it is a little tougher and god forbid I'm in clear water in the daytime I don't want to have any reason for a refusal. Usually carry both (mono & fluro) but if I'm only using one I choose the fluro.

Pliers, saliva and gloves... If you're not using pliers and gloves above 50 or so you're not getting your knots tight enough.

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

50# yozuri hyrid.

"A GAMEFISH (which striped bass should be) Is too valuable to be caught only once"...Lee Wulff

" When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty" - Thomas Jefferson

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help." Most dangerous words in the English language...Ronald Reagan