Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
yozeph

Best leader line?

Rate this topic

65 posts in this topic

Since its winter time and i'm bored figured I'd tie up a bunch of rigs 

To use when I'm throwing bucktails , plugs , etc. 

What does everyone use mono or floro? 

30, 40, or 50 lb test ? 

Best brand leader line ? 

Thanks 

Fish on !!!!

Fish ON !!!!!!!!!

I've been using 40lb Triple Fish for the past few years. Just the regular leader material not Fluorocarbon. Started using an Alberto knot to tie the leader to the braid last year. So far so good.

Unless your fishing spooky fish in gin clear water just about any mono will do. Ande,TriLene Big Game Etc

Again depending on what you are targeting & lb test your main line is 20-50 is the norm.

Whatever you choose don't tie all your rigs with the same size leader material. I always carry 15, 20, 30 and on rare occasions 40. Many times i'll use 40 for the main leader and use 20 for the drop lines.

I had to go as low as 15 for some very tricky and tough to catch Fluke last year because they would not touch anything heavier.

Seaguar fluro Premier. 20-60lb but 30lb normally. My leaders are as least as long as the fish I'm targeting. I stopped pre tying more than I expect to use that month cause storing them in small plastic bags the curls get tighter than if left on the spool.

For mono I use ande leader (50 yard spool) and Berkeley big game mono (not leader, the 200+yard spools). If I use fluoro I use seaguar. I have multiple spools/sizes for different purposes.

For plugs I use seaguar 50lb flouro and love it.  At one point I ran out and was using Ande 50lb mono and was surprised at how quickly it got beat up.  For bait rigging I am happy withthe ande mono 50lb.

i use 50-100lb flouro mostly seaguar and mostly 50. i only use the 100 on my extra heavy conventional setup so i have something to grab on the rocks. As far as flouro vs mono the cost is not really a factor becuase i only go threw a couple spools a year, and if it gives me just a few more bites for the year then in my eyes its worth it.

Momoi diamond, 40, 60 or 80lb, IMHO ties better than Andes and is more abrasion resistant. Been using it for 3 seasons now and haven't thought about going back to Andes

I use the heaviest mono leader I can get away without effecting the action of the plugs.

40 in spring for the back bays-march/April

60 once the bigger fish show up-April/may

80 for the rest of the season-may/decemember

A lot has to do with where you fish, I fish mostly heavily rocky areas and boulder fields so 80 is key for me, but if your fishing the sand beaches than 40/50 would probably be fine