Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BigFisher

Trolling Tactics

8 posts in this topic

Typically, when moving from place to place in my kayak, there's nothing dragging behind me.

I haven't put much effort into trolling, but this year I'm thinking of giving it a try and coverings more of the (New Hampshire) coastline.

Any suggestions?

I'm a newbie to the trolling thingy but I would drag a jig, wild eye or swimmer between spots and had fish this way on each trip I took last year. Hope to get out 10 times as much this year?

D.J.

This is by no means THE way to do it, but it's not a coincidence that my rod holder is mounted betweeen knees. That way I get to see the rod tip.

If I towed a neat Rapala Magnum CD14, it's whoop-whoop-whoop transmitted neatly to rod tip. Any absence of vibration, you gots you some weeds on.

If all you have are the holders behind, don't sell your boat - get an Acetta Pet spoon or small Clark on 30-50# test leader (a loop knot to spoon is a must) and about 12# main line.

Add 1/4 oz egg sinker and you are all set for water 6 ft and more.

I find myself straying away from crankbaits/plugs in favor of single hook jobs. 4/0 Owner offset worm hook and 6 inch grub in white is almost 90% weedproof, and is slammed violently by many interesting critters.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

PS all my best kayak fish came from slow trolling live bait, but by slow I mean 1.5 mph or less. It's crawling, not trawling.

I love moving around with at least one plastic bait behind my Cobra FND. I routinely drag a Storm or Berkley "shad" in a Bunker pattern. I live in Connecticut, on the Sound. You never know when a Bass or a Blue may hit it. I don't routinely use wire leaders because the plastic baits are often on sale and relatively inexpensive. I use FireLine with flourocarbon leaders. A bluefish cuttoff will not breqak the bank. The fireline is thinner and goes deeper due to less resistance. Soetimes, I use Black worms or buctails with porkrind. They are cheaper than Swimming plugs.

Good Luck

The tube and worm is deadly trolling from the yak, especially the rocky NH coast. Just make sure you have "real" tubes, and quality barrel swivels or you line will twist to hell. Eels are deadly bait but a royal pain in the ass even on ice. The slimmy bastards get everywhere and end up in your seat of the yak, or watching them go down the scuppers. This is my 3rd year yak fishing, and if I can't get good seaworms I won't even go.

Cool your eels...Place eels in a "non-insulated" plastic container (the one you take to the bait store) inside a larger (insulated if possible)container and fill the space between the two with ice; eels become sluggish but still use a rag to remove them to put on your line.