Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PeterJ

Feathercraft

7 posts in this topic

Just curious if anybody has fished out of a Feathercraft Kahuna.

I am getting a really good deal on a used one. It's primary use will be paddling for pleasure and low key boat camping when time permits. Not really intended to be a fishing craft, but figured I'd see what people's experience has been.

There's a few posts about them in the forum but no specific comments on fishability

Thanks in advance

I'm just outfitting my Kahuna for fishing. Obviously you can't put all bells and whisles on this type of kayak because drilling is not allowed here.

The main think you have to bear in mind if planning to equip this kayak with fishfinder is that the transducer cannot be install inside the hull (shoot thru hull) but must be outside because rubber which is this kayak made of absorbes the signal. First I actually installed it this way but then I had to move the transducer out.

I picked up my Feathercraft on Sunday. Haven't had it in the watter yet. Living in NYC can be a drag sometimes. Anyhow, I am very impressed with the ease of set up and the quality. I did set it up in my apt. It should be in the water in a week or two. I plan on a little sweat water fly fishing to start and after I develope some paddling confidence and skills I'd love to try the salt.

I'm just outfitting my Kahuna for fishing. Obviously you can't put all bells and whisles on this type of kayak because drilling is not allowed here.

The main think you have to bear in mind if planning to equip this kayak with fishfinder is that the transducer cannot be install inside the hull (shoot thru hull) but must be outside because rubber which is this kayak made of absorbes the signal. First I actually installed it this way but then I had to move the transducer out.

There are some great resources available at the Downtown Boathouse. It's all free, but it's worth joining ofr $50. They provide basic courses and a bunch of other stuff. So it should be a good place to learn. Plus, it's a place to launch.

http://www.downtownboathouse.org/

I paddle mostly on Long Island bays.