Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CHIEF500

Just a tad lealous!!!!

18 posts in this topic

I don't have a yak yet and the wife thinks it's a dangerous idea so I'm lookin anyway.

Wednesday evening I'm driving home from work. I'm crossing the Burlington/Bristol Bridge at about 5:20pm. I look north and south as I enter the bridge and I see this large tree lookin object just south of the bridge. As I go a little farther I see that it's not a log that it's a guy in a sit in Yak. Now I'm, jealous and thinkin. Gotta get me one, gotta go look at some, wanna paddle something, I wanna fish. OK I'm ramblin but I'm frustrated and need to get to the beach.

Chief

I was told tonight that im not allowed in the ocean when i get a yak. She went so far as to call my mom. I came home to life insurance quotes and a phone call & severe talking to from the moms.

The years i spent surfing, ocean lifeguard, marina work, been in & around boats & the ocean my whole life, none of this matters. I could be in better shape but i always was a strong swimmer and i dont take chances. Im working out now to be in shape by the time i start paddling and hope to improve my phys condition from there. but come on man! I like to catch a wave now & then!! Theres no doubt this new mobility will improve our fishing, but not until fishing season right? wink.gif

Hang in there with me brother. Well make it to spring biggrin.gif i can smell it

blue butt water weasle

Otter, no ocean? Who's she kidding. I'm still laughing as I try to type this. When the ppickerel start getting active down yor way let me know. I'll bring down my spare yak and we'll get yoiu introduced to yak fishing.

Chief, you're gonna love yak fishing. Its so much fun and productive too!

Jon

I had the same reaction. Unfortunately the missus shares her mothers mule-like qualities when she has made her mind up. I might need ya to lobby on my behalf if you guys have time to swing by the homefront biggrin.gif

Re the picks- took my 5yr old down to double trouble park last weekend and we got 3 fish (1 was 18"). They were chasin bigtime. They are definetely on the feed now. I just hafta wait for tax return check to get me yak. will keep ya posted.

Otter - as soon as we get some nice weather you're on. Do you own a life jacket? I don't have a spare yet.

I don't know if lobbying will do any good. Kayaks are very safe vessels. Much more so than a canoe or small boat.

When I was young i wanted a mini bike but needed Mom's permission. I wanted a Honda 50. First I had a friend come over with one of those lawnmower engined things. Then I showed her the 50 with all its safety features. I had the 50 a few days later.

So we'll see how it goes.

Tidewater tried my yak out. He's got a canoe. He had his daughter along and she won't even go in the canoe because it scares her. She asked if she could try the kayak. Surprised both of us. She didn't have any trouble and liked it.

[This message has been edited by JonS (edited 02-16-2001).]

Hey Otter, you ever seen "A Christmas Story". You better watch, that kid got his Red Rider BB Gun and he did almost shoot his eye out. You better be careful, those I told you so's are soooooooo painful.

Jon

good point I better buy a jacket.

Chief lol! Ill yak my eye out!

I went thru the atv thing too. Started out on a KX125 and evetually graduated to a 500 class 2 stroke with no injuries to speak of. Now I own a Honda quad (since they are 'safer' than bikes) and still no accident or injuries. Ive never been in an auto accident & have no points on my license. Honey if you are reading this, with all due respect, you, my dear, are nuts. Im Atlantic bound tongue.gif

What's good is that most of the good fishing is inside until the Albies start running. Lots of time to acclimate the little lady. To be honest rivers with a good current are much more dangerous IMHO. It the surf is too big you just dont launch and its the coming in that's more difficult not the going out. Since you use to surf you won't have a problem. Its alot of fun coming in. My Explorer surfs quite well for an all around yak. As I've said before its a terrific all purpose yak. It does everything I've asked it to do extremely well.

After my 50 I wanted a 175 but Mom wouldn't go for it. So I got this stupid 80 which I destroyed in short order and had the 175 a year later. Wasted a bunch of $$$ on the dumb thing and the 175 increased in price up to $695, brand new. It was a while ago to say the least. I think the Beatles had just broken up and the Vietnam War was still going on.

[This message has been edited by JonS (edited 02-16-2001).]

Jon, "Since you use to surf" ouch cwm24.gif

last year was the first summer i wasnt at least on the longboard catching 2-3ft swells. aint gonna happen again!

i got a nice trip planned for us. some 3 hours on cedar creek. pretty technical thru the woods, & opens up into a lake. we could even pick up our yaks and plop them in an adjascent bog that is perm. water. always has fish...

in a week or 2. im thinkin half day during the week. whats yer schedule like?

Otter and Chief, Women buy 60 % of the kayaks I sell. mostly to get away from the old man. The other 40% of my sales are the old man getting one so he can spend more time with the old lady.

Barrell

p.s. Just drop your wives off at my shop in the spring and let me take em out for a few hours. They wont give you guys any more problems.

very saavy barrell but... most guys I know, at least that fish, would have a bruised ego allowing wives in a surf shop to decide on a yak. Men have to get beyond this and keep the end game in mind. It's the fishing that we need to do- who cares if the final decision is a joint one!

Chief you believe this guy barrell aka smoothy biggrin.gif

cmon guys, JP i can see not being able to stand up to a woman and with all due respect Jon, you aint married w/pups right? this would be a short sighted, dangerous precedent. what happens when i want to buy a bike? send her into the store to look for the stylish, safe low hp models?? nosir ill stick to my guns & eat dogfood fer a week to get the right tool for the right job. besides ive discovered a triple point multiplyer, HEADS UP MARRIED DUDES. go to any barnes & nobles & find an Anne Geddes book. buy it and perform another act of courtesy or rump smoochy for a quick 3x points biggrin.gif