Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
T. Rzepski

Has anyone built a kayak from a kit?

5 posts in this topic

I have fished out of a plastic sit-in kayak. I would like something faster and lighter. Wood kayak kits are lot less than a fiberglass boat. The Pygmy brand of kits look to be well designed. I have minimal wood working skills. Are these kits hard or simple to put together? Do they handle well?

Thanks

Ted Rzepski

I haven't built one but I did meet a guy who had a home built Pygmy kayak and I was asking him about it.It's a sweet looking yak.He said it wasn't that difficult and they set it up in a way that you can do a little at a time.I ordered the catalog and it really doesn't sound too difficult for the average do it yourselfer, finding the time and space is the key.From what I saw his yak handled nicely in the water and he was using it for fishing, but make no mistake it is a sea kayak with a small cockpit and a narrow span.

I have built a few wood strip boats, no stitch and glue kits. I don't think you need any fancy woodworking skills. Care and patience with each of a lot of mall steps should get you a quality boat. CLC and Pygmy are both known to produce good quality parts for their kits.