Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sharp1

Mokai Questions for Jim DE and JonS

4 posts in this topic

hatchery.jpg

JimDE,

After reading your review of the PowerKayak-like-boat, I feel that there may be a trophy fishery here in the west made for this craft. Right below Hoover Dam, or Boulder Dam on the mighty Colorado River, there is a Trophy Trout stretch for about 12 miles. There is no Skiing/swimming in there and the Bows run to 20+ pounds. The Stripers in there push 60+ pounds. The water is a cold 46 F all year and there is only one set of rapids and they are mild. The water runs clear.The current is relentless and you can't hide from it. To put in at the dam is an act of congress with required permits and your chasers have to run 50 miles to get you. I have kayak fished it from the first downstream resort by electric(not very practical-not enough range) and to great success by getting towed up to the dam by PB and camping along the drift-way back to the resort.

With say a 6 MPH current, could you make a few trips a day up that stretch? If so, the trick is to troll big plugs deep going downstream. That is how they get the brutes. The home-boy lures there are hand made, hand painted "Flatfish" style plugs.

Anyway, your boat may be ideal for that fishery. I used to fish it in a 17 foot tandem Folbot. If you wipe out in there, you pretty much jam to the shore before you cramp-up and sink. Then you are stuck in a canyon wilderness. Not cool. My favorite places to baitfish (with Valveta cheese) is just below Willow Beach along the huge rock faced Black Canyon walls. I digress......

Anybody interested in this fishery can do a search on "Willow Beach Resort"

The fish hatchery there produces 200,000 lbs of trout annually, and most of it becomes Striper food!! Nearest big town is Las Vegas(and Boulder City and Henderson, NV).

Here is a link to an article in the Las Vegas Review Journal about the Willow Beach Stripers. Sounds like Mokai territory to me. Hope this link is OK by TimS: http://www.lvrj.com/lvrj_home/2001/A.../15874982.html

Sharp1

[This message has been edited by sharp1 (edited 04-09-2002).]

sharp1 - I think that the Mokai would do nicely. I don't think that a 6 mph current is too much for it. It has a 120 mile range on 3 gallons of gas.

JonS, how fast is the average current in the upr DE River? I have a video supplied by Mokai and it shows it blasting up and down that river going over and around rocks.

Sharp...it has a top speed of 15mph so a rough math estamate would be a facing speed of 6mph subtracted from the 15mph top speed would leave you a upstream speed of 9mph. Crude math but some resemblance of what to expect.