Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jw

opinions please, yaking in the cold

10 posts in this topic

what do you guys put on when its cold out ? Iv heard that some use neo waders but that concerns me , I don't have the experience that most of you have . if you go over with waders on ,they fill with water , you sink , no ? just saw some neo jackets that zip up , with hoods sewn in for about 100 bucks , din't see any pants but it seems like a safe approach , they can't fill with water and were easy on and off . what do you think ? jw

I am going to use breathable stocking foot waders with some type of bootie and some type of breathable kayaking jacket with neoprene cuffs and neck. If your breathable waders fill up they will trap air and you will float, if neoprenes fill up they will float because of the neoprene material. You will die of hypothermia before you sink. :-}

When it's really cold, like March, April, (the waters in the 40's) I have on breathable waders under dry pants and a dry top (with the latex seals at the neck, wrists and ankles). The dry top and pants lock together. Also 3mm paddling gloves and paddling shoes. I always have a dry set of clothes, space blankets etc. planning on being out all night even if I'm not.

Some people advocate the 100 rule adding air and water temps together to determine when it's too cold. Please take into account that when you're wet you loose heat 25 times faster than when dry. Try to put it in perspective - you paddled out 30 minutes, got wet with what you have on. Then think how good your coordination would be if you were out there for 24 hours...

Be safe out there.

Dan

For the South Jersey Backbays:

Lacross Iceman Boots (If I can launch in low water). Semi-insulated hip-boots if I expect something deeper.

Heavy socks with liners.

Therma Underwear (Just the bottoms usually, top makes you sweat)

Pair of cheap rainpants (Duct tape the pea flap closed)

Charthart vest.

Polartec jacket.

Charthart hat with the ear flaps (Elmer Fudd hat).

Lots of cheap gloves in individual zip-lock bags. Just change them when the get wet or lost. Toward the end of the cold season I tried those surgical gloves with some extra talcom powder thrown in and they seemed to work real well. The kind that fit loose are good, the tight ones make your hand colder.

....>< ))))))))°> ~ ~ ~ Catch & Fillet Ho-zay >)-)-)*>

I just picked up a Blackrock Jacket from JonS. It has neoprene cuffs, collar and waist. You can cinch them tight. Last week I tested it out in the surf, I was totally submergered wearing the jacket and breathable waders. I was completely dry when I took the jacket off.

------------------

John M

johnm@stripersonline.com

I too wear breathable waders and the Black Rock Jacket. I find that this system works well for me and many others. I can layer underneath for virtually any weather. I have the confidence of the system based upon trials. When set up properly you stay dry.

I recently started using Mysterioso. Its a modern garment which is incredible. Joey has been using it for a while and raving about it. It can be used as a light wetsuit, underlayer, outerwear, etc.

------------------

baja55@optonline.net

[This message has been edited by JonS (edited 09-17-2002).]

jw,

The wader filling and sinking is a common misconception. Think of it this way, if your wader fills up with water, it has the same weight and density as the water around it, right? With this neutral density, if you don't have you pockets full of sinkers and a cinder block tied around your feet, you will float. Trying to get out of the water will be a big problem cause you're trying to lift all the water in your waders.

To slow water infiltration into a wader outfit, you start with with regular belt the wader comes with. Cinch it down good. Then you get a second waders belt to wrap up higher at the top of your wader. Then you put your paddle top (like a Black Rock) with seals at the belly, arms, and neck, and cinch everything down good. Then you put your PFD on and cinch that down until it feels like a boa constrictor (well, maybe not THAT tight) but definitely to a point where it can't ride up on you if you fall over. Now, if you fall in the water, its gotta get past your paddle jacket/PFD (girdle) and come over the top of your wader and past your belts before you fill up. Hopefully, you would have enough time to think clearly and decide what you need to do.

To keep warm, layer underneath with whatever you deem appropriate like polar fleece. Goodluck.

I have the waders,Blk Rk jkt, NRS fleece top, heavy duty boots etc.

For sheer comfort and warmth, I have found the farmer john, in conjunction with all the other stuff, to be a fantastic combo.

If you're going to swim go neoprene if water temp is still relatively warm and dry suit if you like really cold water. Anything else leaks eventually and boy does that cold water get your attention.