Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrooklynBridger

Envirotex Lite as thread epoxy?

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

I'm going to rewrap a Lami S glass honey. I'm still gathering my components. But I already have tons of Envirotex Lite two part epoxy that I use in my plug making. I've used it with excellent results to replace the occasional guide. But for a full rewrap, is it ok?

Thanks for the thoughts.

Mark

I used Envirotex many years ago, before there was an abundance of two part epoxy based thread wrap finishes available. The issue that occurred with using Envirotex, back then, was it was too brittle when it was fully cured. Envirotex was perfect for an application where the use of the finished item that was coated did not involve constant "flexing"; such as coating a plug, covering a ceramic statue, etc.

When I used Envirotex to coat the thread wraps, which I purposely keep at a minimum, they finish was fine. When I used it on longer wraps, such as continuous under wraps or diamond wraps, small circular cracks would develop as the rod was flexed (during casting or working a pencil popper).

Get yourself a small package of any of the modern finishes which are formulated to flex, after curing, without cracking.

Good luck with your project.

I used Envirotex more than 30 years ago before the modern rod finishes were developed. It was the original high-build finish that the early South Florida rod builders kept as a secret. It was fine to use in a warm climate however, the finish cracks in cooler temperatures and flakes. It's much too brittle for a rod finish.

I used Envirotex more than 30 years ago before the modern rod finishes more developed. It was the original high-build finish that the early South Florida rod builders kept as a secret. It was fine to use in a warm climate however, the finish cracks in cooler temperatures and flakes. It's much too brittle for a rod finish.

Listen to this man, he knows stuff. :th:

There are different types of the Envirotex product. At least one pseudo rod building epoxy supplier is repackaging EX74 as their flagship product. Not sure what product you actually have. EX88 perhaps? Those are the industrial product code numbers but the consumer product is the same.

It'll work fine, although there are other epoxies that may offer you better exterior characteristics.

I sure will. I appreciate the experience for sure...

What product and amount is recommended for the threads only of 8 or 9 double footed guides?

Thanks.

Mark

Ok see my post above on Help for New Guys applying High Builds. Get some of the LS Supreme in the Lite version and you could just use that. Or buy the High Build product as well and use the Lite for your first coat and the High Build for your second. This epoxy is very very good. I used to use Flex Coat which I also rate but I like the LS a whole lot better.

You will have a geat finish and it will not take loads of experience to get it either.

Mike

Thanks Mike. I'm tracking some down now....

Mark

Mark no worries. if you are only wanting enough for a single rod TrondaK do a 1/3 oz kit in the Lite formula. If you are happy to apply say a few more coats than you would with normal High Build then no need to go to expense of buying the High Build product. If you go onto their web sites or onto one of the big rod component suppliers you can see what sizes they sell it in.

I feel such a dick as I have beeen building rods for way too many years and I never gave these lite formulas even one try out until it happened totally by accident that i had been given these little 1/3 oz pots.

A size thread should see you done with 3 coats and no bubbles to worry about.

Mike

Just to better understand, I mix up enough Lite to do first coat on all my wraps. Do I wait an hour before I mix up again and do 2nd coat? Then likewise with 3rd and 4th coat?

Or... Do I wait for coats to dry overnight, and then do next coat?

Or... Do I wait for each coat to completely cure?

Thank you for the advice...

Mark

you may also want to try and contact sudsy on sol. i remember him building some rods with the stuff. overall he was happy with the way the stuff held up. I'm not sure if he's still happy with the results or not

you may also want to try and contact sudsy on sol. i remember him building some rods with the stuff. overall he was happy with the way the stuff held up. I'm not sure if he's still happy with the results or not

http://www.stripersonline.com/t/581964/hardware-store-thread-finish#post_4722334

Still looks good, no yellowing, no cracking, although the rod hasn't seen much use in the last two years.

I use Envirotex Lite for my personal rods and am quite happy with the results. Bubble release isn't as fast but a little heat takes care of that. It will yellow but so does everything else, some take a little longer than others. Levels OK but that might have to do more with my technique :p . I get about 30-45 minutes of working time in my climate before it starts to thicken up. Haven't experienced any cracking or flaking what-so-ever. For the price ( hint: look for 40-50% off coupons to you local arts n crafts store ) it's hard to beat.

With that said, there are other rod building epoxies I prefer to work with. Most of it has to do with my application technique and how workable it is. But as far as a rod finish Envirotex does what it's susposed to do... cast the threads in place and provide protection from the elements.