Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jim DE

Kayak Crabbing....................

10 posts in this topic

I haven't killed a fish for consumption in 18 years. I really prefer beef, chicken, pork, turkey, etc..... to fish. Now, crabs .... there is a different story!!!!

The only ones that go back to swim another day are those which the state deem undersized. wink.gif

Today, I picked up some small crab traps which can be carried on a kayak. (these are the kind like a cockroach hotel....they walk in but can't walk out). I also grabbed some hand lines, chicken necks, and two telescopic metal nets to keep us entertained while the traps do their thing. I wanted a couple of baskets and two truck innertubes to make portable housing areas but they were out of baskets.....these will come later.

Our plan is to paddle out to the marsh and hand line till we find activity then drop the traps and find other areas of crab activity while the traps work their magic. Currently the plan includes 2 small bags of ice stowed in the front hatches and the foreward hulls will be the crab storage locations. Both Heritages have closed off storage areas which will keep the crabs from running all the way around the inside of the yaks. We will see how this works. I know guys who have used the aft hatch of Nomads for this purpose.

This will also be the first wet test of the Sea Wings which are mounted on the Sea Dart.

I will let the board know how this works tomorrow.....anyone else every go crabbing from their yaks?

Now that's a great idea.

Crabbing in Salt Pond RI was a fav pastime when I was kid. Blue crabs are really not up my way until July and August, but I'll try that out then with the family.

By the way, we only chased them with the nets back then. Do you have any link or more info on the crab trap? Bait is chicken, correct?

Good luck!

They are locally made wire crab traps with two openings (one on each end) and a center bait holding area with an access door to load the bait and an access door to unload the crabs. Dimension of the trap is about 16"wide X 16" tall X 30" long constructed out of Black 1.5" X 1.5" medium wire cage stock. I will post a pic if you like.

The bait of choice here is chicken necks or bunker. In the past I have had great luck hand trapping with mackeral.(they didn't have any mackeral but did have chicken necks)

Jim,

I'd love to see a pic of those traps! I've been wondering if I could hold a crab pot or 2 on the yak. I will definatly be crabbing sometime this summer from the yak.

MMMMMMMM Crabbbbssssss.

Jim chicken necks are good bait but a killie ring with fresh killies on it is killer. The bunker puts out oils and smells for the crabs to zero in on and the killies are the main feed. I use to out catch my brother with his chicken necks while fluking with a killie...the crabs would be all over em. Give em try...take a coat hanger, bend it in a loop, attach a lead weight in the middle and thread on the killies ...easy. Enjoy the crab dinner I'm thinking the same thing now....crabs Mmmmmm good.

Try a spotlight while drifting the shallows at night.

Dont know if I would want a bunch of big blue crabs in the yak.Could be painfull.

JoeV

------------------

Always Wishin I Was Yak Fishin

Yeah, I got crabs in the kayak...she was pretty sweet thing from asia....errrr...sorry, wrong type of crabsicon15.gif

Well, I just got back from a day of crabbing with kayaks. The crabbing itself was very poor but I found a spot we are going to hit very early in the AM Saturday.

The Sea Wings are fantastic. Very little drag inflated and tremendous stability. You would have to intentionally try to roll the Sea Dart to get it to flip with these attached. I leaned forward over the bow hatch, sat sideways, accessed the aft hatch with never even the slightest sense of flipping the Dart. I deflated them for the trip back and it paddled like they were not even there. Well worth the $129.00 and a must for those who want to run through the surf to open seas in the Dart.