Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Breezy Kid

SHARK!!!!

26 posts in this topic

Went kayaking today at sunset (7:30) chasing a school of blues, the blues scatter and I paddle around trolling. When I look back to see if I had any grass on my line, I see a fin about 7 feet behind the yak. I continue to paddle slowly, and it continues to follow. I stop paddling and the 5 foot shark cruses up to me with its nose bareley out of the water, looks at me and then swims away with a stroke of its tail, splashing water on me. After getting over the initial shock of having a shark follow ME (not the lure i was trolling) I proceeded to cast in the direction it swam off in, thinking Hey that would be a fun sleigh ride! Any one else ever get followed by a shark? :-}

I recall some sage advice from an old Bahamian guide along the lines of "... you done wanna be hurtin him mon, else he gonna be hurtin you sumday".

A slightly less paranoid but no less valid interpretation maybe - "..if yer gonna pick a fight, ya better be ready to finish it...!"

Now, was it Roy Scheider or Richard Dreyfuss who uttered those defining words .." we need a bigger boat?"

[This message has been edited by Adrian (edited 07-25-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Adrian (edited 07-25-2002).]

I just spoke to a friend that knows Breezy well. He told me it's pretty common to see a lot of sharks around there in late july and August. He had some great stories about guys wading and a shark taking laps around him. Apparently the small bluefish bring in lots of fins.

-What do you got there?

Its a kayak

-A kayak. You go on the kayak? Kayak goes in the water? You go in the water? Sharks in the water? Our shark? Farewell and adieu to you fair Spanish ladies... :-}

I've caught 'em that size from the yak. They put up a great fight but normally I wouldn't pull them in the boat or kiss them on the lips.

When the dorsal fin is in front of your boat and the tail is behind it then you should really worry.

I had a link with a guy with a shark that size in his lap. I'll go look for it.