Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shutterfish

life jacket- reccomendations?

8 posts in this topic

Hi,

I need to purchase a life jacket and really don't know much about my options. I have seen a couple different types- your regular padded type and the ones that inflate with co2 canisters. I want to get a preserver that is comfortable for fishing with and also will provide maximum protection and is easy to use. I'll spend whatever I need to- I want to feel safe out there. I'll mostly be kayaking rivers and lakes, not the ocean, if that makes a difference. Thanks!

Shutterfish

since you will be fishing and have sharp objects around you may not want an inflatable type,w/CO2, when you need it is not a good time to find a leak/

Beyond that, get one that is comfortable and that you will wear.

I second what Surf Pirate said.Something about sharp objects and inflatables cwm31.gif

I have a Stolquist Wedge .Its a very comfortable PFD.I got mine from KFS .I believe most of the KFS guys also wear that one.Works for me .What ever you do buy a comfy one and keep it on at all times.

JoeV

------------------

Always Wishin I Was Yak Fishin

I too don't like the idea of an inflatable. One of the few situations where I can see being dumped is in the surf. The power of the waves could create a scenario where the yak could hit me on the head and either make me less alert or knock me out. In either situation I wouldn't be able to inflate a pfd and there's a possibility that an autoinflate model could get damage or not function properly.

Many pfds will do the job. Many of us use a high back seat for maximum back support so we need a pfd that will stay high on the torso. Kayakjoe was the first to order a Stolhquist Wedge. As Joev pointed out a lot of us are using one now. It sits high, is comfortable and doesn't get in the way while fishing. Retail is app. $95

------------------

JonS@****stuff.com

I have the Extrasport Retro-Glide Sabre. Loads of pockets and attachment points and the most comfortable ov the 5 or 6 models I had tried on during the previous Paddlesport exhibition. I love it.

Wouldn't get the C02 for 2 reasons. Some automatics CO2 have an H20 sensor. If you get hit by a wave it could activate the sensor or worst the sensor does not activate. Stick with the regular jacket and you will be ok.

Inflatable.............no way!

Take a dump in chilly water and that first mouthfull of cold H2O will have you so unable to think straight that you are headed to the bottom before you can inflate.

Anyone who yaks with an inflatable..................well............I'll keep my comments to myself but I really think it is not a good thing.