Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bigrap

FISH FINDER

8 posts in this topic

I used it three times (mobile unit):

- First time everything was OK, it worked up to moderate cruising speeds when towed on a 3-4' line from the side of the yak. This was last November.

- Second time (two weekends ago) it started working erratically, and then lost the signal for good after about 1 h of use. Customer svc recommended to soak the transducer in water+ dishsoap (!!??)

- Third time (last Saturday) it agonized for while, then it died again....

Returning it for service tomorrow..... mad.gif

DMala

used mine from shore 1 time to test it. worked great. tried if from the yak a couple days ago and rec'd no data from remote. haven't had a chance to futz with it since. I think it's gonna be a problem. mad.gif

The verdict is still out for me. I bought one a few weeks ago to use with my yak. Because it was dragging behind me, I found I needed to shorten the drag line in order to get a reading from my wrist unit. I have about four feet of line for the transponder now.

I have gotten some good readings, but not consistent readings. Seems to lose the signal a lot. For some reason it used up the watch battery after two trips, but that could have been a bad battery it was delivered with. Plan to try it a few more times, as it would be much more convenient for me than installing a permanent depth finder.

I think the most exciting thing about the SmartCast is what it represents for the future of fish finders icon14.gif This is basically the leader of the pack - they sell them so folks can buy them and help figure out what's wrong with them wink.gif

Imagine where this could lead in the next couple years? icon14.gif Wireless fishfinders....once they get the bugs worked out...then once the novelty price comes down on the future good ones...there's some real possibilities icon14.gif

TimS

they sell them so folks can buy them and help figure out what's wrong with them wink.gif TimS

Yeah! I've got one of those guinea pig feelings....

DMala

for pond fishing, I tow mine behind the yak on a 50 pound leader. Seems to work fine for slow moving areas. Too much speed and the trandsucer tilts. But for fishing for bass and 'gils, works great. S