Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NS Mike D

SOL Kayak Stuff on this Forum

16 posts in this topic

Anyone else think we direct too many people from this forum to other sites with informative stuff?

I can't believe it's because of better content, there are too many exeperienced people who participate on this forum to direct someone elsewhere.

Is it because of the articles that support the forum?

I am very new to kayak fishing and would not want to offend anyone here, so I ask this to the long time members with the respect they deserve,

should we start putting together and updating threads that can be turned into articles that can go into the SOL library?

This way we can link to this site and not use obvious hints to other sites?

Good point Mike. As you probably see, Tim has moved me into the slot of moderater on this forum. I have been around this forum almost since the beginning of it's run here at SOL. There were a lot of things that were created, tested, improved upon and shared with everyone who wanted to learn. A lot of that info was transfered out when the original mod started his on, now infamous kayak fishing site. The thing is it is all still here.

The other night, as Patrick and I were posting info on an anchor system, and trading answers for questions for an hour or so, it kinda frosted me that the last post was sending the guy somewhere else.

I'll do what I can to dig out the older threads and get it back to the front. It is the same stuff you will find on anyother site, I know, I helped get a lot of it here. If there is some way it can be done, I'll see if Tim can help me get some of the old pictures up also.

We'll see if we can get this forum back up to speed and make it a vast wealth of info that once was.

Bob

There is a wealth of info on the this and the other site. I think most guys are directed that way because of the retail aspect. I think it would be good to consolidate some of the old threads into sort of a **** primer. It may eliminate some of the repeat questions that seem to rotate through here on a regular basis. I find this kayak board has become more of a general east coast board, when it first started there were not as many people involved in the sport and it was only a handful of guys. I have gravitated to a CT board that just started out which gives me a more "local" feel. Just MHO of the state of things here. Keep up the good work icon14.gif

I really like SOL. This is a great site & I have learned much here.

Kayak fishing has a lot to it, especially if you are new to it like myself. Just reading about all the makes & models is very daunting. It also can be frustrating when looking for answerers. That is why I sometimes will direct newbies like myself to KFS & their homepage with links to their article section. I found it very useful.

I am not putting down this forum & try to constructively contribute, but there is enough information to warrant a website devoted to this particular aspect of fishing. I imagine that is why TimS has a link on this website to KFS.

http://www.stripersonline.com/Pages/...esources.shtml

I would like to thank you all for the info you have provided to me. I really do appreciate this forum, but sometimes the info is easier to find on KFS.

My sincere apologies if I have offended anyone.

Seadogface as much help as you may want to give others, links to commercial sites are not allowed as per the user agreement, sorry.

[ 02-07-2006, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: Mullet Miller ]

I really like this site...and this forum....I almost always lurk and not post just becuase I started out on 2 other sites....and it is just to hard for me to keep track of multiple posts on multiple sites.

I think the article content could help....but the info that the knowlegdeable members provide in the threads is most attractive.

Head Hunter

I have been scouring all kayak fishing sites looking for certain information on oufitting my kayak and haven't found it all on one site. Even the site I regularly frequent (which isn't a commercial site) I've cherry picked info from all differnet sites.

I heard about that other site via the SOL Kayak forum and I spend 80% of my time here and only about 20% there. I agree it's mostly due to the retail store but also the kayak fishing focus which goes beyond what is available on SOL.

My suggestion to improve the SOL Kayak forum would be to post "How to" and FAQ's to the top similar to the Plug Builders forum. That got me started on plug building and I still reference those posts today almost 2 years later. If we do not have enough content we should solicit tips from our members. I've been yak fishing for almost 3 years now inFW rivers, ocean and bay side. I would be willing to contribute some tips, do's and don't, etc...

Not to be a PIA. I spend a lot of time on is site all day. But I really don't feel like answering a bunch of questions here that have been addressed on a site dedicated to kayak fishing. I really feel that it needs it's own site.

Since there is a real possibility of injury or death if a newbie just heads out I think he should cruise a site like KFS for some basic answers, etc.

I feel no disloyalty to SOL by directing anyone to KFS for kayak fishing info. Though I do it by e-mail since I've had this discussion w/ the previous moderator.

I will of course abide by the rules of the house.

Hello all, I have not been here long but I have used forums for a number of years now doing pc repair. I agree some basic how to and faq's would be very helpful. The other thing that is missing that I really like on forums is a search feature. If it is there and people use it there are a lot less duplicate posts and a reduction in the "I have answered that question for the nine thousandth time now". As I am new to kayaking a solid write up on what is important for in a kayak. Things I have picked up from the combination of a number of sites, long thin boats are fast, short fat boats are slow, but can turn quicker. This seems simple, but is it accurate and how does that relate to what you want to use the yak for. I already realize everyone has their own taste and needs so a buyer's guide would be really tough. I list of all the reputable manufactures of equipment as well as boats would be nice. I never knew there were so many different makers of kayaks until I started the process of having to go from site to site. May some reviews of the equipment some of you use would be helpful. You know, I am Bill my height, weight, years of experience, likes and dislikes of what ever. I have already realized weight of add-ons is an issue adding the approximate weight to any article would be great if it is applicable. A safety topic pinned to the top would be a really good idea I think. Yaking dictionary could be helpful for newbies. Some thoughts from a newbie that is still in search of all the right answers when I don't even have all the questions.

FisherTim makes good points. I don't believe that this forum would ever contain the volume of content at KFS nor should it try. Nor will it stop me from going to the other sites. Just looking to provide some basic FAQ and safety info in this forum as we do on many other SOL forums ie. rod and plug building, cooking, beach buggy's, etc... icon14.gif

Offering safety tips to yakers on two sites rather than one is a good thing wink.gif

My two cents. This is a kick butt Stripers site. It has darn near all information that is needed to safely go out aafter stripers. What makes this site so good is TimS, but also the people here, they know their stripers.

Now kayaks, they are also a specialty and oyu need to be around the people that know that subject. Yes, there are people who striper fish for kayaks. And probably a fair amount of striper fisherman that would love to learn about striper fishing from a yak. It's such an obviuos match.

But, Tim, and I fully agree with his policy, it's his site and he makes the rules, has created an environment where the sharing of other sites is not appreciated. For whatever reason it doesn;t matter. It's his rules. KFS has a rule about no religion and no politics. I've policed that since we started there. It's anuance of that site, but we don't end up with most of the crud that comes with the tavern here.

Ideally...being able to discuss freely between the two sites. But that isn't the case. In the mean time, those that know will offer what advice they can when they can.

Great post Scott, I couldn't agree more.

In no way are we going to try and copy what KFS has done. The fact of the matter is Jon and Joey started here, saw an opportunity to expand the sport and now have a dream job most of us can only.. rolleyes.gif ..dream to have..

I do wish we could post links to all the sites out there. But, da rules is da rules. So what I'm trying to do is make the info and answers that have been posted here easier to find, this is what some of you have asked for. When the search is functional again, I plan on tagging some threads up top to help the new guy looking to start, without ever trying to match what is available at KFS. I am sure that these new folk are going to find out about other sites on their own.

A nobel plan oh moderator smile.gif this is a great sport and ther eis alot of information out there. Be safe, plan ahead and learn all you can about safety before going. Scott

I have thought about this and here's what it amounts to for me.

SOL is my home site, the place I spend the vast majority of my time while on the net.

If something is available through the online store and I need it I support SOL.

This is the place for information dealing with the business of catching fish. Performance reviews and opinions about Heavers, Reels, line and almost anything dealing with fishing from the sand, jetty, party boats etc.

Kayak fishing requires specific knowledge about a wide variety of concerns that are not covered in great enough depth on SOL. Stuff that is yak specific. With the volumne of yaks on the market of different design and configuration it just makes sense to seek out a site that addresses different Kayaks like SOL addresses VS vs. Stella for example.

I bought my Yak from Jon and he KFS crew and belong to their site. I visit it frequently for information and increase my knowledge base.

I've no idea what lies in the SOL archives. Once the search feature is up and running I may never have to leave my home turf.