Gators in Jerzey.....

If your looking for a bent rod, some fun & sore biceps them big toothy bastages are here in force in the back 10+ lbers. what a blast this afternoon. Water in the surf is reading 53 deg. in the back it is 64 deg. go figure it's gonna be a long hot summer.

By the way no bass or weakies, if you saw the size of these blues I wouldn't be hangin around either smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Marksharky (edited 04-21-2002).]

That sounds awesome! It's been a long time since I caught any slammers. Used to fish for them a lot in Delaware Bay in the late 80's. I miss em frown.gif One thing for sure though...I'd want em to be a lil tuckered out before bringin one along side me yak! I'm afraid one might try and eat me!!! icon25.gif

Jon...Better you didn't go down yesterday. I decided to go to Raritan Bay again yesterday and it was like riding a mini rollercoaster. Not too bad when paddling into the wind and chop but potentially a bit unstable when paddling with the waves and the wind. I stayed for roughly 1/2 hour and then split. Low tide, nothing doing. I would like to go sometime this weekend depending on the weather.

My first fish of the day came on the flyrod with a home-made bunker fly. The rest of the fish took a small bomber plug trolled behind the yak. Nothing simpler than that. Take bomber, throw it behind the yak, start paddling and wait for the fish to hit.

In Raritan its hard to go wrong with a trolled bomber. The usual colors. I like yellow, yellow with a black back, schoolbus and on dark days or night black.

Many other places I troll jigheads with plastic but with blues and a shallow bottom I use bomber type lures.

Yakman...i've trolled them anywhere from a 3" size to around 9" i believe. when I get home i'll double check the sizes and post them again. Don't laugh at the 3" size. I've caught lots of big blues and a few stripers on them when the fish are chasing spearing and rainfish. Hard to find, good to have.

Here is where they were on Sat. Just off Pebble Beach at the most easterly point there is a hump about 50 yards off the beach. From the beach out the bottom slopes gradually but rises up and then back down. The blues are on the outside of the hump. I walk out at low tide and reach the spot but you can not on a high tide. The bait guys can hit it with a cast by with the flyrod we have to wait for the fish to come inside. When the bait is small the spearing and such run the inside because out there they are dead meat! That's when the flyrod is really good but on Sat I landed a nice blue right on the hump. My yak is ready to go now and my maiden voyage with Jon gave me some good experience. I'm ready for the next trip.