Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Doug

launching

9 posts in this topic

I have had my n.y.state beach permit for many years.This season I started yak fishing and have already found out how deadly it is.I am addicted now!!.What has been most of your experiences with launching on Long Island???If I bring my kayak to Robert Moses,montauk,sunken meadow will I be hasseled??.I have been launching at crab meadow,sunken meadow and behind tobay without a problem so far.But what about "In season".Any help would be appreciated

Thanks Doug

Doug,

I'm in Montauk a lot with the yak. I have launched in the surf on the south side and the north side. You have to be cautious about how crowded the beaches are, and sometimes how crowded the beach will get when you try to come back in. I understand that it is illegal to launch in NY State parks. Until somebody tells me that, I launch. Always be aware that it is surf caster nature to see a big bull's eye on a kayak. I have fished along the north side of Montauk Point in the fall and watch the distance competition to see who could reach the dope in the kayak. A friend of mine was on the beach casting heard one guy ask if anyone had a sinker to cast at that kayak. Good luck

Phil

If I may say a few words they or may not help you out... I also Yak out at Montauk I have a lot of fun doing it to BUT!! on you permit it say's no personnel water craft so they can take your permit away. Also I have had surfcasters call the parks cops. I do it weekdays now NOT weekends. I go on the north side by the stones and put it in there and Paddle down to the Bar and Light.

I know we're splitting hairs, but if you want to be specific, it reads:

Barbeques, open fires, camping, trailers, boats, inflatables, bathinng, surfboards, jet skis, SCUBA equipment, windsurf/sailing equipment, alcoholic beverages, and pets are prohibitted.

Nothing mentioned about personal watercraft or kayaks there.

Please don't take this as a blessing to launch from State parks. They probalbly will tell you that you can't, but the permit doesn't specify it. As a general rule one should be far from the surfcasters when launching and landing.

Don,

Don't know the Jersey Beaches rules, but like NY it may vary from place to place. Check the regs on you permit or the paperwork that comes with it. As for the coast guard, I don't think the get involved in kayak regs, but you should have on board more than they would require for your own safety. The list should include a PFD, flares, submersible flashlight, and a whistle. I add to that a handheld, submersible VHF radio. Even if you don't intend to be out at night, be prepared for it, in case you end up on the water later than planned. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks for the info guys.With my limited experience so far, one thing that I figured out already is to have a healthy respect for the surfcasters on the beach.Out of courtesy and 4oz.sinkers.I know one thing that has ticked me off since I was a kid was to have boaters come too close and spook the fish.We know kayaks don't, but it still comes down to a territorial thing.

Oznavad do you have a cobra fish n dive???I was out In montauk with my girlfriend and saw someone with one.I went to follow them to see where they were going to launch, but they apparently were coming back. Have the fish started to become active out east yet?? I have done well with bass to 15 lbs. from the crab meadow to sunken meadow area, but have not done well on my south shore areas yet despite some of the reports. my south shore spots seem to be 2-3 weeks behind schedule due to the temperatures and rainfall.

without giving out honeyholes how have the rest of you been doing???

Doug

Doug,

Yes, I have a Fish n Dive, that was likely me. Haven't given the stripers much attention out east yet, but my local spies haven't seen much yet. Maybe in a couple of weeks. I hear some decent things from Sag Harbor area, but that's second hand. Take your yak to Montauk, there's alot of quiet spots to hit also. Good Luck, Phil

Oz

I tried to find an old premit to see if thats were I read it but couldn't come up with one. I do however belive they include a Kayak as Boat. However I just did the Hudson river up bye Corton point park today 3 1/2 hours of paddling my big butt off right in the middle of it all. Saw lots of Cat fish but not one Bass...........

Eddie