Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
thewaterfordstriper

off the wall question

11 posts in this topic

if i take my daughter, who is 2, near the edge of the shore in my yak, will i basically be put in jail? i have a little vest for her and i plan on going in fresh water. i haven't done it yet. i am always looking for something different to do with her while mom is at work.

thanks in advance-

brian

i wouldn't do it. too many things can go wrong. now, i don't know where you are and where you would be paddling, but in any saltwater environment, you've got things that can unexpectedly happen. you could get boat wake, wave action, currents, bad weather, etc. as a fellow dad who will one day take my daughter out fishing, sailing, diving, etc., i would not go paddling around in the salt until she's older. a small pond or a lake would be okay i should think, but not the salt.

just think of what you would do if some knucklehead on a jetski or a go-fast boat wasn't paying attention, and was coming right for you. it probably wouldn't happen, but there are enough idiots nowadays that have access to motors, gas, and the water that it could happen. why take a chance.

just my opinion as a father of a baby girl. icon14.gif

Brian- I used to put my daughter between my legs in the Pungo and yak Jordon Cove. She loved it and I stayed in the shallows. Be smart- I think it's fine...

She's nine now and I had her trolling tube and worm last weekend! Joe V would be proud!

Wanna go fishing this week?

There's 2 that will listen and follow some instructions and there's 2 that's all over the place. You decide, just use common sense, pick your time and spot. Mine were in canoes a lot at 3 and 4.

Take the kayak to the bay or lake and stay in shallow water and just have some fun. Keep the PFD on you and your daughter so she gets the right ideas about safety early on. No problem if you keep it simple and close to shore.

Man what would you be missing if your kid couldn't go with you. Get her out there!!!! Had my kids on sailboats from three months on up. Canoes during the terrible two's. Yak is much more stable. Keep the vest on, pick the weather and look for turtles and fish. She'll be thrilled. Then bored in 10 minutes and you can send her back to mom for lunchwink.gif