Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kayakjoe

Mounting the bottomline sidefinder

23 posts in this topic

What make/model of yak Joe?

Ihave one mounted sucessfully through a scupper hole in a Seadart. I ahve also been researching some waterproof through hull fittings that compress around a cylinder/tube.

Look up www.protecplastics.com and look for Nylon cable glands. I am going to try and order a couple to test out. I have used this type of fitting before in chiller tank applications for pumps and no leaks. This spec says good to 70psi.

I've have a Bottomline as well that I bought in anticipation of mounting it on my about to arrive, Explorer. What concerns me is any mounting that permanently makes the transducer protrude from the bottom of the hull. At some point I know I will have to drag or paddle the yak over something that's going to catch on the transducer and the impact could do a lot of damage. At the least if I go through a scupper hole, I want the transducer to be friction fitted in such a way that it will break away from its mounting causing no further damage. I've forgotten the exact dimension between the two mounting tabs but standard width lumber fits tightly between them. Just a thought.

I also saw a transducer mounted to a hatch cover by means of a set of L shaped PVC pipes. The transducer wound up alongside the yak, in the water, with the cable attached to the pipes, first up and then across to the FF.

I think we may be still playing with this one all summer.

As long as you don't have a sandwiched hull with air spaces in it, shooting through the hull should be possible. Look at all avenues inside before mounting outside. Just some sealant or my favorite a little dab of grease, will secure it inside for the day. Scott

hey beagle...I have a scupper tankwell...so when you mount it through the scupper hold, how tight will it be to the kayak and can you turn it to change viewing area?

scott I dont think it can work through hull

Ken, The distance between the mounting tabs is 1.5" ID. I used nylon/plastic bolts for mounting to my bracket. They will give first. The problem of having the 'ducer below the hull is the trade off you take for gaining the sidefinding option. How and where I fish, yes at times I will have to get out and just not go over the oyster beds and rocks I used to. But I have found it to be VERY minor compared to the advantages I have gained. I really like knowing whats over there. I fish a lot of shallow water, less than 25'. In much of the water I fish if there is a fish under my yak it's either dead or not hungry, he can see me and I can see him...now fish over there, that's another story.

Beagle, pics please. I have no need to reinvent the wheel and if your way works... The problem is always first to define the problem. I could be worried about something that is no big deal.

Ken, you'll have to wait till next week. On the road today to Ct. for a funeral,. back on Mon and will get my tech guy to take some pics and see if I can help with this.

beagle I will take measurement later today, I like the idea of putting it through the tankwell holes-seems that it would be less likely to hit when you make you're landing. pics would be great.

side shooting? If it's below the water line why wouldn't shoot through the hull? 'Course you'd need a flat verticle spot that would pretty much always be underwater...but otherwise it should. Lotsa luck. Scott

goods ideas guys, beagle; Scott- JimDE has a lot to say about side shooting sound waves...and it makes sense! At least on flats.

------------------

Dune%20Path.jpg

Hey guys went backa nd did the search for the side finder. Long discussion in marchabout it. Several times the fishin buddy was mentioned. Well, it's a month and a half later. HAs anyone adapted their fishing buddy to the yak without suffereing the drag consequences?

JP, I see the information he is providing, but I'm still not positive you can't shoot through the hull. It won't work in my yaks because they are very rounded, but there ar some that have more vertical sides. Of course there are drawbacks to a permanent side mount, such as only a 180 view.

The ideas of rudder mounting sounded interesting as well. Has anybody done this? are you using one unit that shoots down and out? the bottom line series? scott