Rate this topic

Alan Hawk

Oh, it's clearly up to more than that. Five pounds of drag pressure beats anything under 100 lb. in the inshore NE Atlantic, and the larger part of what's offshore, too. A spool loaded with braid give us far more capacity than we need, but ... so you have five pounds of drag on the reel and a spool of braid and you hook a 100 lb. yellowfin. So it runs, say, 200 yards right away. As the depth of the spool decreases, the drag's going to increase. You pump as you would with any other fish, the yft comes back and runs a dozen times; the drag is going to win.

This is the sort of thing that can't be easily tested, but having a drag that's honestly good for 5 - 10 lbs means it's going to be fine despite an hourlong fight that starts off at five lbs and then involves a dozen runs to 200 yards. Alan, would you agree?

If I need to put 15-20 lbs drag on a spinner from the start, I need a Torque, Stella, Dogfight or TwinSpin. Since the only fishing I do where I could need a heavy starting drag is for partyboat tuna, I bring a Sealine 900H, 30SW or Torque 300 star drag. I'm happy.

Thanks so much for the review, Mr. Hawk...

So nice to have a real evaluation to look at.  I know there are others that have commented on their experiences with this new reel, no disrespect to then.

Re your comment:  "The drag pressure of the Spinfisher V has a very slow progression due to the extremely small threads pitch on the shaft (red arrow). That means that you have to turn it more times than needed on other reels in order to increase the drag pressure by the same amount. Don't know what to make of that. It's not really an issue, but it's quite unusual and it takes a lot of getting used to, then you need some mental resetting when changing to another reel after fishing the Spinfisher for a while."

Off the cuff, doesn't the slow progression of the threads provide more mechanical advantage (leverage) for the drag knob?  I.e., you won't have to turn the knob as hard, but for more turns (farther) to progress to higher drag settings?  In other words, you won't have to turn the drag knob as hard?  And, you would have a finer-grained adjustment level when setting the drag, not that I would think that would matter much?

I think I still want to get one or two, but I'm less "hot" to buy now, although I would much rather make a purchase based on realistic expectations than "hype".

--

Dave

I think it has a greater impact strength of spring than thread . How Quck drag works ?

You‘re at the mercy of whatever talent you have

Very, very well done. As mentioned by so many, it's so good to hear flat out, no frills, straight forward assessments. Especially during a time where company priorities seem to be put in marketing/advertising than stone cold "actuality". On this endeavor by Penn, i believed the "water" tight, proof, sealed (whatever you wanna call it) design on this reel and thought that with this concept, we would have been ahead of the curve with an "affordable" surf reel. Turns out they may not 100% accurate with this campaign slogan.

Thanks again for the review....

The funny thing, for me anyway, is that I think that if Penn marketed the reel as being exactly what you describe, I still think it would be a big hit. I know it would be for me. A lot of guys don't need or want a $700 sealed reel: I don't swim with my reel; I just want something decent and reliable, that I can be reasonably confident will withstand the occasional dunkI have no idea why Penn made such grandiose claims about this reel [ -- they've come back to bite them in the butt.

Thank you for the brilliant, and definitive, review, Alan. We all appreciate the time and effort you put into this. Cheers!

i'm exactly on board with you Belmo......my 4500's have treated me with nothing but satisfaction......but it creates a little doubt when when finds out that certain claims "may" not be 100% true !!! Good Work !!

So with those threads getting stripped out at 22lbs of drag pressure, what would be the safest drag pressure to set the spinfisher V's at in relation to their stated maximum drag settings? For instance, would it still be safe to set the spinfisher V 6500 at 15lb-18lbs of drag without worrying about the reel being damaged?

Alan since you are going to be reviewing the new quantum can yo please review the new quantum smoke pti inshore the one with the blue handle and accents

Unfortunately a single review takes a lot of time testing and taking photos and writing so I can't review everything I want to. I have chosen the Cabo as a representative for that new generation of Quantum reels and I hope it would shed some light on other models :)

In theory a better pinion would be a nice aftermarket component

Actually I've been contacted today by someone who's thinking about making an upgrade kit for these reels (ss drive & pinion) and wanted to know if I think the body and drag were good enough to make it worthwhile. I said yes and wished him luck. Would be interesting to see how that goes.

Any idea when the Stradic will be done ?

Hopefully sometime before October if nothing comes up. The problem is that there is already so much feedback out there about it so I keep pushing it back in favour of other stuff.

This is the sort of thing that can't be easily tested, but having a drag that's honestly good for 5 - 10 lbs means it's going to be fine despite an hourlong fight that starts off at five lbs and then involves a dozen runs to 200 yards. Alan, would you agree?

Absolutely true for the Spinfisher V, but can't be a rule for all spinning reels because some drags start well then deteriorate as the fight goes on, etc.

I think it has a greater impact strength of spring than thread . How Quck drag works ?

Not just the spring. The drag discs themselves compress and at a certain point in that compression the same amount of knob movement will generate more braking than it did earlier.

So with those threads getting stripped out at 22lbs of drag pressure, what would be the safest drag pressure to set the spinfisher V's at in relation to their stated maximum drag settings? For instance, would it still be safe to set the spinfisher V 6500 at 15lb-18lbs of drag without worrying about the reel being damaged?

Can't answer that without fully testing each size class. I'd say the 7500/8500 class would be fine up to ~20lb. The 9500/10500 are still not released yet but they should handle considerably more because of the sizeable jump in size.

Great review Alan. I wont buy one ether. I understand that if you buy it before the review then there nothing you can do but to buy it after this review just make you look stupid to penn marketing

This review is not to suggest that anyone should buy or not buy the reel. It's about knowing what it can and can't do in order for you to make an informed decision based on what you need and what it offers. Several people in this thread decided that it still meets their needs and that's what it's all about :)

A stainless pinion and drive gear would certainly be an upgrade, VS has done it for a long time but it comes with some negative aspects as well, most notably smoothness. It's definitely better than whats in there though

That's great news Alan, Penn is pushing forward and i think they need to. I know a lot of guys are going to tinker and try to get the reel to seal better, count on it.