Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JimW

Esopus Flats report

7 posts in this topic

Hit the flats Sat am with Bill abt 7am, and an hour before full Hi tide. Before we get the yaks off the cars a guy on shore takes a 24#er on a herring chunk. We went to drop off on S end of the flats, dropped a couple chunks and started jigging. Right at abt Hi somebody threw the switch and we got 5-6 schoolies 16-22 inches in abt as many casts, then I got one fish 32/33 inch, then another 2-3 schoolies in my next 3 casts, lost a big run off on the chunk cause I had a fish on the other rod. Then the switch goes off again. 8-10 minutes max. We fished 5 hrs in am, 2 hr break, another 5 pm to abt dark and next Hi tide, one more schoolie. We covered drop off from the N edge of the flats to a couple miles S a few times. We just get the yaks tied on the car and the shore guys get another fish maybe 32/33 inches. These guys also lost a rod in am while we were out, fishing and sleeping at same time. All our fish on Albino BA 1/4 oz heads. Would be interesting to check out the flats at Hi in the dark over next couple days, I would think. Sorry abt yr back ScottO, guess tv really is bad for yr health.

S2

Now I'm feeling guilty. You knew we were out right? I meant to PM you but forgot.

I'll bet it's good for a couple weeks.

[This message has been edited by JimW (edited 05-05-2002).]

Jim W-

great to hear that kind of post! It really sounded like the perfect day... warm sun and fish to boot!!

Hey, when you say the flats, are you still talking the Hudson? It sounds an awful lot like the Susqu down in Md. Is this where you guys did the fling a couple of weeks ago?

Always trying to keep the options open... I have family in NY and might have to do a visit if I hear some good news from you, Dougie V

Dougie, yes the hudson, specifically the Kingston and Esopus flats. Edges to forty feet. Herring are i big time. Going to bust wide open over the next 2 weeks I think. Going out tomorrow. Scott

Wouldn't wait too long, Doug. It's a little easier to find and get to the drop offs than Susky, like maybe a few miles less paddling. wink.gif I'm thinking abt trying it again tomo night.