Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Marksharky

Monmouth County Report

8 posts in this topic

Got the kids on the bus this am & made it up to the beach for a bit of fishin. I wasn't going to go out due to low tide & waist high plus sets hwever I finally found a launchable spot behind one of the bigger jetties (lookin for Albies). I don't always bring the fish finder but for some reason today I did smile.gif . Started marking some fish off a slick on one of the long jetty with plenty of structure so I put on a deadly dick only to find blues of various sizes. As I drifted out in water of 20 to 30 feet I started showing some bigger fish on the bottom , I casted out a bit let the lure settle & began jiggin a bit. Hook up right away & the line starts coming off the spool nicely so I tighten the drag a bit & boink the fish is off frown.gif . This happen 2 more times until I finally got a glimpse of what was on.... Weakfish, plenty of them too, nailed a dozen in about 45 mins. a few hit the 24" mark, kept one for the grill tonight. Funny thing was I lost almost just as many as they neared the surface, most of the fish were hooked on the belly just below the gills? If it was one or two I would say a fluke but 60% of them were hooked this way my guess is they were mouthing the top of the lure? Anyway it looks like some fish are starting to show in the surf so get out there if you can.

No Albies today but the fish finder sure came in handy, maybe I'll hook it up more often.

[This message has been edited by Marksharky (edited 10-02-2002).]

I have the portable Eagle unit "super pro ID" w/ the sunction cup transducer, very happy with it. I seem to pick up more fish on the bottom when I drift compare to paddeling as the water gets deeper.

Nice job Sharkey, when are we going to hit it??? My friend just got a new FnD and has not had it out yet NO FISH from the yak what,s the weekend look like ????

------------------

"It is better to sit in your kayak and think about God,than to sit in church and think about fishing"

what,s the weekend look like ?

Saturday is a no go, busy at the club however Sunday I can do very early, say false dawn to 8:30 am or an evening session after the block party (I just want to fish!) . Once October is done I'm in like flyn , if your still game smile.gif