Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Waljojo

Night Scope

6 posts in this topic

I saw a night vision scope at costco for $97 and thought it might be another nice bit of ballast for the boat. I've been out to sea on the little boat at night a grand total of once. It was a clear, beautiful night with the redtide/bioluminesece thing going on (got blanked). But one of our party got separated for a while and it sure would have been nice to see him. He was a few hundred yards closer to shore fishing the kelp beds and easy to see in daylight. We had to yell for what seemed like an hour before he flashed his light at us (probably a whopping 30 seconds). Yall do a lot more night fishing than I have. Is scope of any use or literally just more ballast?

------------------

Wali

<'(((<<

Come on yall! I need your respected opinion as I've got a Father's Day goodie chit to turn in. wink.gif Is this the thing to add to an already waaay over rigged boat or is what I really need is another fish necktie?

------------------

Wali

<'(((<<

I was thinking the same thing, not for the purpose of finding a buddy but for fishing a local lake on the blackest of nights. Would the night vision scope or goggles help me to see the tree line on the shore? Sometimes out in the middle of nowhere & pitch dark it gets kind of tough I tell ya smile.gif Not too mention I have to keep an eye out for the warden wink.gif

PS welcome aboard Wali, people don't vistit the site as much on weekends, there all out fishin smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Marksharky (edited 06-09-2002).]

Wali: sorry for the tardy responses and I owe you a lengthy response on the the other post. I just don't know how practical they would be and I don't know how many could comment, at least here on the east coast. In night yak fishing, things have to be kept to mega simplicity. IMO, it would just be an extra worry just trying to physically kept track of the night scope.

We just had the Northfield Police department doing a presentation for our "Crime and Punnishment" course at our high school. Two of the toys they brought with them were a night scope (Display is green, like on CNN) and an infrared scope (dispay of any thing radiating heat is white). There was no comparison. In a darkened room you could see almost nothing with the night scope but the infrared scope showed every thing. Walls, books, and people stood out really bright.

If it was radiating heat it looked like an incandesent bulb.

I do alot of night fishing both on and off shore. I have never needed, or even thought I needed, night vision beyond what nature has already endowed me with. Our eyes have developed over millions of years to eke what vision they can from even the darkest night. They're pretty good at it so I would recommend that you let them do their job and put that $97 towards something you really need like a new van Staal. Also, does $97 buy you waterproof night vision? If not, you may as well throw your commando gogs over the side right now - they will get wet.