Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Iwan

Kayak Dilemma

33 posts in this topic

Hey Guys.

I am interested in buying my first kayak. I am 5ft 11in tall and weigh 185 lbs. I intend to use the kayak initially in the bays on Long Island and then progress to surf launches and ocean fishing. I would also like to use the kayak for the occasional pond or lake fishing excursion. I will be almost exclusively fly fishing but I may sometimes cast plugs.

I have done a little background research on this site and read a lot of reviews. This weekend I tried paddling both an OK Drifter and OK Prowler 15. I found the Prowler more comfortable and easier to paddle although the Drifter was much easier to turn and maneuver in my hands.

I am serioulsly considering putting the money down and going for an OK Prowler 13. Will this kayak suit me in terms of my body size and fishing needs. I have also been advised to try out the WS T140 and 160i so now I am getting confused.

All advise is appreciated and thanks in advance.

Iwan.

I have the OK Prowler 13 and it's great, all my friend own the same and it's fine kayak. Other guys I fish with have the WS Tarpon 14 another good choice. As a matter of fact this question will never get you a good answer. You have do your own research, try them out if possible because everyone has an opinion, or story or this is bad because and this is good because. You have some good kayaks to choose from give them a try out then make up your mind. And there is another web site that could it has all types of kayak fishing stuff to buy and learn about.

Iwan, The Prowler 13 is probably more manueverable than the 15 just because it is shorter. I understand you give up some speed when you go to the shorter boat. If getting to action quickly is important you might want the longer boat. I have the P15 angler for that reason. The SOTs are also stable in the surf if you want to do ocean fishing.

I believe there is no horribly wrong decision when buying a yak to flyfish from. Trying a bunch of different boats does not make you an expert, just a confused and beached fisherman. You'll gain experience out there on the water.

just MHO. Christine

Just my two cents, but don't forget about the Hobie Outback. The Mirage Drive is amazing. I got one just this year and every other Kayaker out there pulls up next to me and can't believe that I can move around hands free. When trolling I can have both hands on the rod and reel almost all the time. I can play the fish from hit to hull, not to mention while fighting the fish I am able to still power and steer the yak as needed. It is 12'6", if you needed there is tandem that is bigger although from all the comparison charts I found the outback only lacks in below deck storage and tracking, which is not a problem as a rudder is standard. Also any long trips allow made in the outback allow one the option to switch between propulsion methods. Again just my .02

I have an hobie outback and love it. I won't fish out of any other kayak the rest of my life. The kayak gives you total control hands free. The only way I'll fish out of my boat if I take my daughter and she ready to get her hobie soon.

The infection spreads. We sold 11 outbacks just this past week. Smart fisherman are doing their research and making the outback their first yak. If you need a paddle then you have an antique.

Barrell

If you are only using your yak for fishing go with the outback or T140 angler. If you actually want to do some dayrtrips and paddle in a somewhat fast boat go with the T160i. I fish out of the T160i and take longer trips and there are not many boats I cant keep up with. If you get a 140 or outback and take it out in the ocean with other paddlers you will most likely burn out trying to keep up.

There are only a few good good choices IMHO the P15, T160i and the Outback. I own a P15 any I love it. It's fast, stable, easy to paddle and outfit, it also has the best tank well on the market.

The T160i has many of the same pro's but the tank well is a little narrow and the layout is a bit different than the P15 not as easy to outfit with multiple things FF, GPS or rod holder ect.

The Outback is great for distance due to the Mirage drive but you still need to use one hand to control the rudder so it's not totally hands free but it is really nice. On windy days it moves very well into the wind. The layout and storage are it's downfall. If they would only make it 15ft+ a little narrower with a good tank well and better internal storage I would by one in a second.

THe T140 is almost as nice as the160i but once you start to push the 200# mark it holds a bit of water in the footwells.

Paddle as many as you can, look at as many rigged fishing yaks as you can and take the plunge. You will not be dissapointed that you did. Oh, a rudder is worth every cent you spend on it.

Good luck on your search

Paul

Barell's stuff aside there are many situations where the Outback's peddle drive really is a hinderance. Flats, surf, and long fast tours argues strongly against the Outback.

Doing your homework is also about finding objective information. Note the fact that people that sell a certain brand may not give you that.

Iwan,

If I were looking for a boat for the conditions you want to fish, and you planned on just one boat for everything, I'd go Prowler 15 or T160i.

[ 07-22-2005, 08:37 PM: Message edited by: Santiago II ]

I should probably throw in that the Outback has an excellent foot propulsion system but the hull is so poorly designed that you can't effectively paddle if you decide not to peddle.

Don't get me wrong, it has its niche but its not the end of the kayak evolutionary chain by any stretch.

[ 07-22-2005, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: Santiago II ]

The outback will keep up with any of the above mentioned yaks over the long haul and after 10 miles will still require very little efoort while the paddlers shoulders will be failing and calouses will be stinging. I dont know where you guys heard outbacks arent for long distance because you are very wrong on that info. Against the current and wind I have blown the doors off the t160. And that guys was paddling his arse off. Without wind and tide its a tie but im not getting wet or sitting in a puddle and my hands are FREE.......,.

The outback will keep up with any of the above mentioned yaks over the long haul and after 10 miles will still require very little efoort while the paddlers shoulders will be failing and calouses will be stinging. I dont know where you guys heard outbacks arent for long distance because you are very wrong on that info. Against the current and wind I have blown the doors off the t160. And that guys was paddling his arse off. Without wind and tide its a tie but im not getting wet or sitting in a puddle and my hands are FREE.......,.

The Outbacks handle distance very well because they go consistently at moderate to slow speeds, they also have tremendous "torque", much better than paddled kayaks....BUT...they don't go fast, they don't handle surf well, and they're absolutely useless on flats. On top of that you can't paddle them for any distance at all.

If your marketing to people grossly out of condition, I understand your logic, but otherwise most people like their paddle kayaks just fine. Nothing wrong with the Outback, you just have to tell people the WHOLE story and not just the used car salesman version.

[ 07-23-2005, 08:00 PM: Message edited by: Santiago II ]