Rich5294p

What is your opinion on adding feathers on bucktails?

Rate this topic

61 posts in this topic

So lets hear it.   Pro's, Con's, expierences.  I have been thinking about giving it a whirl and was curious what everyone else thinks?  Thank you in advance for your input.

why not? There is a guy mentioned in John Skinner's book that makes specialty bucktails that look more like flies than bucktails. He says to use them if no other standard bucktail is working. Sometimes the new pattern will draw bites when the others are too boring for the fish that day.

works well if your trying to lengthen the profile as well, i think billy the greek used to make 9 - 10" bucktails to imitate herring at the bridges

It works for flies, why not for bucktails. But, using feathers only (no bucktail) will affect the sink rate to some degree. This wouldn't be insurmountable, given that you can alter the weight of the lead you're using. Tying saddle hackle to the Siwash at the tail end of many swimming plugs adds a much better action than bucktail, as well as length. I may give that a shot, myself.

Do the feathers get tied to the collar of the bucktail jig tho? And is a trailer used in addition to the feathers? I've tied them before, but none I would ever use lol

Ok last season I found a small 1/2 oz bucktail caught in the weed out off browns. What made it interesting was it had a small hot pink feather tied to the hooks shank. Well i have a custom of always fishing a new found plug etc. Well the bass were on white bait and this small bucktail worked great. The feather was not as large as a red curly tail or even a thin cut pork rind, maybe thats why it was so effective. So I've tied a couple up for this season.

Being a fly & jig tier for many years, I've tried about everything with feathers & bucktails at one time or another on both flies & jigs. They all have their place & time when they work better than a regular bucktail alone. I like to add flash to about all of mine, but know some guys who don't. I like feathers tied in as tails, like tying a Lefty's Deceivers or sometimes along the sides of the bucktail. I like to try different colors, particularly when it provides a lot of contrast.

In the "Show us your bucktail jigs" post, I included some pics of a few feathers jigs too. I've had day's when all feathers out fished the hair or anything else. I don't feel there's anything we can add to bucktails that won't work, as far as feathers & flash & such, as long as we're not getting too crazy with it or actually hindering the hook so it's difficult to set. I stick with the idea that simple is most often better, but there's nothing wrong with some variety too.

To me, it's like doctoring lures with added splashes of color, or like adding a different color tail to flukes or BKDs with dyes. Sometimes, they just work better than the basics.

All gives a slightly difference appearance & sometimes a slightly different action. Nothing is a sure thing, but IMO it never hurts to have some variety available for when you need it particularly for anyone who ties their own. :th:

I've tied 3 or 4 saddle hackle feathers to the hook shank of white bucktails that I tie myself. Wrap a few layers of thread along the hooh shank and tie the feathers in, coat thread with 'tough as nails' . Adds amazing action to the bucktail and eliminates the need for pork. I like it better than pork on my bucktail. Works great and catches fish too. Downside is the feathers get bent up and destroyed in short order especially if the fish are toothy, but then you just cut the feathers off and fish the buck with pork rind. Absolutely worth the effort.

I do it on almost all my jigs, I add 4 to 6 hackles per jig, I tie em on the hook shank, then tie as usual.

I think it adds a lot of action and even allows me to fish jigs without using pork strips. Helps with casting distance to not having the pork strip flapping in the wind.

I usually use a contrasting color for the hackles, or part of color scheme, like using pink hackles for a herring jig then tying blue on top and white on the bottom.

Ill post some pics once I dig out my jigs for winter tying.

Lol many years a go (  over 40 )  we would tail a Black Rebel w/ a sand worm  while trolling very slow , Hackles and Bucktails yes when fish are hungy the will eat , To get them to bite when they are not ......well that is the game .

Quote:

Originally Posted by Humboldt Squid View Post

When using it for fluke the feathers dont seem to last long compared to buck tail hair.

The Fluke are nasty fish    Yep  2x's for the blues also