Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Backcountry

In Search of Weakfish...Part I

14 posts in this topic

A yak outing on the Nav was certainly in order this morning. The tide seemed right and hopefully I'd sneak in before the Memorial Day crowd showed up.

Launched early, before sunrise to spend a nice chunk of time in the dark. Was armed with the usual...flies, rubba (as thill likes to call it), plugs and even a few shad that I colored myself.

Started on the troll and dropped a few fish. Weakies? I'll never know.

Finally landed a few blues, not a surprise. Decided to drift and jig a known hole. A couple of flatties and then something good shakes off. My mind is now playing tricks...am I leaning on the fish too much? Did I tear out of a good Weak? I'll never know.

More flatties, each one knowing that I wasn't looking for her. Just to rub it in, they would spit some shrimp all over the deck.

A few more blues, before I decide to paddle back to the launch area. Weakies, you're out there, I just know it. Until next time...

-BC

RITM,

She sure did...thanks for asking! A beautiful little girl, Eliah Elizabeth!

It's been an exciting couple of weeks for sure. Good luck tonight...maybe I'll sneak back down for Part II.

-BC

BC-

Congrats on the new arrival! That is a very beautiful name--unique as well, as I don't recall hearing that name before. Please don't mind if I write that one down for future consideration (WAAAYYY in the future, though wink.gif )

Go get them weakies. I would take a 30" weakfish over a 30" bass any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

------------------

Joe

GO NAVY

g0404980.gif

Congrats BC, if your able I will probably be in the monmouth beach area. You could always put the new arrival in a backpack wink.gif Someone was kind enough to show me somewhere to put in and I have been dying to get out there just haven't had the time.

BC - I think yah missed the big trout - I'm pretty sure the big gals have finally begun to spawn to make baby trout for our future trout fishing expeditions smile.gif

I had a couple 4-5# weaks last night on the fly rod...and one 12-13# striper - no big weaks...I think it's over for them this season frown.gif I'm gonna miss them...

TimS

You're finished! A baby girls and dads are a bad mix...you just gotta love em to death. My daughter could (and still does) wrap me around her finger. All the best to you and your new family.

RITM...where? Joe....hit the books! wink.gif

I hear ya Tim...I had 'em a couple of weeks ago but then was out of action for a week and a half due to my daughter's arrival.

I refuse to believe they're gone just yet! I will keep searching until someone knocks me over the head. The Nav had a soupy stain to it, so my psyche tells me it was a clarity thing.

Weakies be gone? Say it ain't so!

-BC

BC, the lil' boy weakies were there and will be there...but the big girls weren't...it happens, the girls gotta get busy, they are usually spawned out and back in the ocean by end of May - they better get startedsmile.gif

The big gals will be avaiable again after spawning...except they'll look like noodles with their bellies all sucked inicon25.gif

Tims

BC, major congrats. I missed the weakies too. I didn't make many trips down as the wind always seems to be blowing.

I'll just have to shift to freshwater's version of a weak (walleyes). Up at Wal.......k its a night thing all summer with rockets, smallies, eyes, etc. feeding on herring.