Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Leatherface

Potential Recipient for the 2013 Spring Fling & Fundraiser.

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Fellow Flingers,

Another spring is just around the corner and with that, another gathering of the minds! (or something like that).

I have been real busy and actually haven't even thought about the spring fling yet. This past weekend was one year that our friend Chris left us. We celebrated his life and raised some much needed funds for his family at the last spring fling. Recently I received the following PM from KurtGett. He has been to most of the flings since I have been a member and always helps out. I would like to hear your input on this potential cause. I did not want to make a decision on it until everyone had a chance to give an opinion.

Hi Bob,

In the aftermath of hurricane Sandy, I am sure there will be many potential recipients of our SOL fund raising efforts. If you have not already selected a recipient or a cause for this years spring fling, I would like you to consider a friend of our family. He is Nick Sicoli. Nick is 15 and suffers from Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. His family has set up a website that describes what Nick is going through and how he is handling it. I would appreciate it if you could take the time to read his story and consider him as the benefactor for our spring fling. I would of course give you 100% support in organizing the event.

Excerpt from the web page:

....Nick will be 15 in a few weeks and most boys with Duchenne are in a wheelchair at least part time by 11 and full time by 13. Nick has an amazing will to walk. Every step he takes is like walking through quick sand with a pair of oversized fireman boots on, try doing that for the entire day and you will quickly discover just how exhausting it is. Nick is so very proud and he rarely lets on how difficult and challenging mobility has become for him. The simple things like not being able to pick something up off the floor without falling over or being able to reposition back to a standing position are daily challenges for Nick.

Best Regards, Kurt

Thanks!

What do you guys say about embracing Nick as our benefactor for this year's Spring Fling?

If you google Nick Sicoli you can learn about him, his family, and his battle with DMD.

Regards, Kurt

Good to see you guys on board!

I look forward to seeing you again, Cliff!

I took the time to check out Nick's website. What a smile on that kid. I am definitely behind this 100%. :th:

This is where the funds we raise will go:

A special needs "trust fund" has been established for Nicholas and its sole purpose is to have funds readily available for anything that Nick may require including ramps, home modifications, lifts, adaptive equipment, medication, physical therapy provided outside school and any care taking or special needs during summer recess. We are grateful for the support of our community and appreciate any donations made on behalf of Nicholas.