Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dick

Anchor setups? What's yours look like?

15 posts in this topic

I've been wanting to design a anchor that I could somehow hook to some sort of wench or old deep sea reel so I could adjust the length of anchor rope without haveing to tie it off and be able to raise and lower it without having to actually touch the anchor or anchor line. I haven't really tried to figure this out yet, but would love to hear what everyone else thinks....

Im making one that has two pullies riveted on thru a loop, one at each end with a rope looped around. In the middle of the rope is a metal/plastic ring to which im going to attach a caribener with the anchor attached. I got this idea from some one on this board, dont remember who, they posted pictures. Search under anchor pully. :-}

Barrel,

Your just "special"smile.gif...

I use one in Fresh water alot. I don't have the time in the salt to know if I would use it or not.

Breezy,

Thanks, I'll have to do a search sometime today.

The only time I use a anchor is when I yak wade.I will tie off 30 ft of line to me and 6 feet to the anchor.Other wise I always drift.

JoeV

------------------

Always Wishin I Was Yak Fishin

Keep it simple, use a cleat, a cam cleat works one handed. If you need an anchor you're probably trying to fish in a good current. My 2 cents is think more about 'quick release' and line float for safety. If you aren't trying to anchor in current but the wind is pushing you around get a drift anchor. I don't have an anchor, I use a drift anchor I got from barrell.

Im not using my set up for an anchor, but a drift sock. This set up makes it easy to position the sock in different ways so you are facing the way you want to fish. :-}

I use an 8lb. mushroom almost every weekend and have had no problems. To each his own...

Sometimes I will throw the mushroom up on the sod-banks to gain good position in fast water. I don't know about you guys, however I find an anchor completely necessary for some of my fishing scenarios. I often find good holes/ bars/ lumps/ edges, that you may really want to fish hard and not just drift bye.

Caught two 4+pound Weaks,(lost 1) last weekend anchored 20 feet off the sodbanks in swift current by the Rutgers staion / Litte Egg, I watched the boats drift swiftly bye without even a strike.

Terry Mac

Have not ever previously used an anchor. That changed a few weeks ago when I started fishing a hole in the flats in the GSB. The tide really rips through it bringing bait over top of the fish on both the incoming and outgoing. This same rip makes it difficult to slow drift. So I now anchor up. I drop a mushroom anchor on 50' line (too much) which I then simply thread through a deck eye depending on which way the current and wind are working and which way I want to face. Put a quick release knot in the line and launch that clam belly. Has worked well so far.

Always bring an anchor with me. Sometimes if it is windy i will drop it just to get some rest from paddling. Sometimes in the fresh I anchor up on structure ( crappie fishing)

which I find is a neccesity.

John