Fun with Fluke.

I've been going out for the last 2 weeks and bangin some hefty size flatties.A few 3-4lbers and 1 that was every bit of 7lbs.I got him next to the yak and just let out a scream(NNNOOOOOOO!!!)All fished were released.It's great how I can now loacate some incredible fluke holes,and I'm sure it won't be long before those holes are full of weekies.The only problem is I still haven't got my first stripe.It's definitly not from a lack of trying.Oh well,I'm sure it will happen soon.I wish I bought this sooner,Because it sure is fun!

Those are some nice flatties, I thought they should be showing up sometime soon. We usually have a couple by now fly fishing for the Unicorns but nadda so far. This might warrant a trip out in the daylightcwm24.gifwink.gif

Nice report eelball.

------------------

-----------------------

Dubs a.k.a., Charlie

dubs@stripersonline.com

Dubs

AKA: Charlie

Sure...I put in at the Delores cooper bridge.This is on the Causeway that runs from Somerspoint to Longport(about 10min. south of A.C.)Then paddle North to Skulls Bay.There are 4 "creeks" that run out of the bay(maybe more,I'm still learning)Anyway,any one fof these creeks are holding them.BUT,The best has been Methodist Ditch,which is the northern most entrance into Skulls bay.I also had a terrific day behind Ocean city last week.Over 20 fluke in about an hour of fishin.All would have been keepers except maybe 3.Today I had a BEAST of a Fluke.I thought I was snagged on bottom till my drag started screemin.I got him next to me and saw that he was barely hooked and PING he got off.Oh well he was going back anyway.If you need any more info about the area I'm talking about feel free to ask.I know the area pretty good.

Barrell,They vary.Most of the depths that I've been having alot of success is about8-12'.Most are 30-50' across.Once I find what I think is a good fluke channel,I look to see where the fastest part of the current begins to slow down.(due to a spot of deeper water,or widening of the channel.If you saw one of my spots you wouldn't believe that so may fluke could be laying in such a small area,but they do.Anyway,I'm heading up the Eggharbor river soon to try and plug up a stripe or 2.SeeYa.

eelball, I have a spot like that. It is a large shallow bay about 2-3 feet at low tide

across the whole bay. But there is a 10-20 channel about 8-10foot deep that skirts the bank on the south side. When the wind is blowing toward that bank, at high tide, only in the spring, you can catch a fluke on every other cast. There must be a lot of theese strange out of the way holes that are stacked with fluke. I try every day, after I have a striper or two onboard to try to fish some weird spot that no one else does. But mostly I strike out.Those spots are hard to find.

Barrell

BARRELL

Yea,I know what your saying.I tried a couple different locations today with not much luck.I got 5 flukies.It seems every time I paddle far-far away the wind picks up,and it's ALWAYS a head wind for the trip back.I keep hearing about weakies but still haven't seen them with my own eyes.You have any tips for them?I think I could use a little coaching.

I dont think the weaks are every thick yet. But when they are I use either 4 or 5 inch alewife finess (with finess heads) or weighted flys fished with a spinning rod on 6 lb test.I never use bait and have no problem getting hits when they are around.

Barrell

BARRELL

Went out today for a few flatties, just to make sure that I'm sharp for the upcoming opening,It seems that the fish that I was getting 2-4 weeks ago are no longer around.Instead they have been replaced with fish that are 15 3/4".Well I may be Exagerating alittle bit ,but they definitly got smaller.I got about a dozen. I Would guess about 4 would have been keepers.I did not get any of the big fat ones of last month.I AM ABSOLUTLY DIGUSTED!!!

On the last day of practice the fish did cooperate.Today I got into them pretty good,with a total of between 25-30 fish.Several of them were of the large variety,so things are looking good for tomorrow.(everbody cross your fingers)Unfortunatly I've been sucked into coaching T-ball,and they start tomorrow,but not till 9:30.I think I can fish till 9:27.Good luck to all who seek the FLATTIES manyana.