Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
saltyh2ofly

Surf Launch Practice Session

12 posts in this topic

OK, we all know we need this (even the "pros" need to practice). My suggestion is Sea Bright Sat or Sun AM early. Public parking lot in the middle of town on Ocean Ave next to the police station over to the right. Easy access to the beach from there. Who's in?

I went today and I'm willing to give it another go on Sun. I'm beat and beat up but I'm willing to go again....

[This message has been edited by saltyh2ofly (edited 07-20-2002).]

I've found surf launching to be a pain. Done it twice in the smallest surf on the York River here in Virginia. It would be great if you guys shared your lessons learned

Thanks in advance..........

[This message has been edited by titusg (edited 07-22-2002).]

Tied a rope to the bow for pulling the yak up the beach after you come in. Keep the rope between your legs within easy reach and be ready to hop off when the water gets shallow enough. Time your incoming approach with the wave set picking out the smallest waves. Take down your rods out of the rod holders before making your apporach. As soon as you hop off drag the yak up to the surf line so it doesn't get dragged back into the wash. Launching wasn't as tough as coming back in, just be aware of the water washing back into the next wave. When you make the decision to launch go for it, don't hold back...go for it. Now is the time to get the drill down while the water is warm and you can dump it with a pair of shorts on. I plan to do it again..it was good practice and the people on the beach have something to talk about as they watch the guy on the kayak get beat up by the surf!

It's all about that wave coming up from behind you. Doesn't matter if it's a 1 footer. If it catches you before you get the boat out you're toast. Last ditch attempt to survive ... run to the back of the boat, pull back into the wave and as it passses you, push the boat in with that nasty wave and keep going above thew surf line. If the wave starts going out before you can get the boat out of the wash, let the front of the boat follow it out and hold on hard pulling the rear of the boat up to keep it from rolling.

Lot easier to do if you're seeing it on the beach.

If the waves got you already and you're holding the front of the boat it may get tossed over top over you.

Of course if you insist on "surfing in" that's a whole 'nother can o worms.

Watching you must have been a video moment. I may come with you next time to video so we have something to watch over the winter and have a good laugh.

Two Eskimos sitting in a kayak were chilly, but when they lit a fire in the

craft, it sank, proving once again that you can't have your kayak and heat it, too.

I did find out that if I'm out of the yak and pulling on the rope up the beach the following wave lifts the back end of the yak helping me along. If I'm sitting in the yak and the following wave starts I'm sunk. So it's like a Chinese firedrill upon landing and it is funny now...in Oct it could be just cold! I'm thinking "wetsuit"!!