Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Darrell

Taylors Blues

1 post in this topic

Hi everyone,

I know I have not posted in a long time, I had surgery back at the end of Aug. I had a ruptured disc in my neck. I have not been in my yak now for over three months. The doctor says I should be able to yak here in another 2 to 3 weeks. I am so ready. I just got back to fishing last week. I went fly fishing at the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel (Some call it the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel)from the beach on weds night(can't go out in my yak as of yet because of a recent surgery. I went out about an hour and a half before dark. I was using my Orvis DXR 7/8 wt on a Orvis Silver Label 8 wt rod with Cortland 444 Clear SL Intermediate line.

After about twenty minutes, the birds started moving over head and just about the time they did, the water went from dead glassy to boiling. There had to be at least 300 fishing busting the water after all the bait fish. There was only me and 6 other fisherman there. All of them were using conventional fishing gear until one of those guys switched to a fly rod after he saw me hook my first blue. He came up near me and starting casting. We were both hooking fish, but seemed to have a problem keeping them on. Then it seemd to come together. These were my first blues on the fly, I am fairly new to fly fishing, only about a year and a half. All in all, I hooked 9 fish, got 4 to the beach to keep and the other five were, shall we say early release (got off on thier own power). The blitz lasted about and hour. I was only fishing in about 10 foot of water. I was using a nice Blue/white and silver Crease fly. What a blast, it might be the only time it happens to me but what a memory. I can't help and think what it would have been like had I been in my yak. They started breaking right where I usually fish from my yak. Hopefully the stripers will follow suit here soon. Schoolies are showing up here in Va Beach and the biggens will be right behind them. The doctor says I should be back in my yak in a couple of weeks. I am ready. Tight lines to all.

------------------

Va_Yakfisherman@yahoo.com