Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DougC

First Unicorn via Da Yak

11 posts in this topic

I planned to go out on Friday but by the time I awoke from my "nap" it was Saturday afternoon. So, Sunday Jamie and I headed for a lil place just south of here and took the Cobra's along.

It was windy, which she didn't particularly care for. It was yakable though. MAN there are ALOT of people down there in the day time aren't there?!?!?!?! Holy Smokes!

Amid the 8 or more buzzing jetskis, the boats, the constant whining of the jetskis always present I landed my first kayak striper. It was about 27-30 inches? 8-10 pounds? I got it on my medium action freshwater spinning rod with 8 pound test. It was AWESOME! It's been a long time since I caught such a fish since I've not fished the salt much in the past two years. Over in the shallows where the boats couldn't go and the jetskis were avoiding there was a flat/shoal and the water was swirling off of it, there were fish feeding and breaking surface every once in a while. I got a small blue to chew my Fin-S off and another lil striper on a wildeye minnow. Not "news" per say but hey..I'm excited about it! tongue.gif

I'm more excited about going back under the stars a few hours earlier in the same tide wink.gif

Congrats on the unicorn. Stripers of that size on freshwater spin gear is a blast. Glad you got out in the salt finally and I know that you'll find your night time excursions very worthwhile.

Thanks fellas

Yes Mrsinbad it surely is on my mind!

G-man, I picked up the unicorn thingy from the folks here and likely from them before here was here....but anywho, it is what one calls a striper, especially when they are hard to find and or catch...etc. Or just a striper. For me they are all unicorns but I don't use the term much.

Here in NJ we're not blessed with stripers like you are up in MA. In the summer they can be very hard to locate so they then resemble the mythical Unicorn. Its a term that this site brought to our attention and so we use it.