Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ken L

Raritan Bay or anywhere

13 posts in this topic

Just got my new goo goo green Explorer, courtesy of YKW. I'm anxious to hit the salt but reluctant at this stage to go it alone. Anybody out there with plans for the weekend I could hook up with?

goo goo green, eh? NICE. Congrats on the new yak. I'm heading out on LI saturday and sunday morning. Sunday w/ mrsinbad (another Cobra owner wink.gif ). Not quite sure about where we'll be fishing...Hopefully, I'll be on and then off the water before the holiday armada takes flight.

OK, back the cwm15.gif for me. One last final exam tomorrow morning. rolleyes.gif

[This message has been edited by JoeB (edited 05-23-2002).]

If I had a helicopter that would carry the yak I'd join you. As it is you're 70 miles away with the City in between on a Holiday weekend. Thanks anyway. Maybe in the Fall.

I'll be hitting the Two Rivers either tomorrow night or Sunday night. PM me, maybe we can hook up.

I'd avoid the bay like the plague this weekend - too many goog boaters!

------------------

"Any time a man ain't fishin' he's fritterin' away his life." - Rancid Crabtree

Thx guys but the night thing is still in my future until I get more comfortable with the yak. I did wonder about the boat traffic. Thx for clearing that up.

I know that long Island too is not too far out there but these first few trips are going to be as much about rigging as fishing and it makes more sense to do that close by.

There is still most of a season ahead. I look forward to hooking up with all of you over time.

Ken, do yourself a favor - if you haven't been in the yak with your gear yet - don't make your first trip a fishing trip. Go to a local lake or pond. Pretend you are setting sail on a public, saltwater highway on Memorial Day weekend. It'll at least help you get yer gear and rigging organized before you take a crack at boat wakes, waves, and current. It's a nice safe way to get organized - try paddling...try casting...try changing lures and tying knots...try anchoring or deploying your drift sock. Try doing a couple of those things at the same timeicon25.gif I know, it doesn't sound like you'd ever need to - but yah mightwink.gif

I don't think Memorial Day weekend in the Shrews/Nav/Raritan Bay water way is a real good spot to make sure yer readysmile.gif Just a friendly word of caution, please don't take this as an insult - we have a lot of yakkers at StripersOnline but none to sparewink.gif

TimS

I did temper my initial enthusiasm and went to a relatively large but unoccupied lake today for the maiden voyage. All went well despite a gusty and unpredictable wind. This thing is a compromise like all boats but for my purposes it really fills the bill. I never came close to testing the secondary stability and was particularly pleased with the speed. If I was a few inches taller I would have to move up to a Navigator but the fit couldn't be better as it is. I also like the weight. I don't know if I could handle a Fish 'n Dive by myself. I think I'll do the lake thing a few more times before I hit the salt.

Thanks Tim for your thoughts.

Ken, after I do the demos this AM (Saturday) I'm very flexible for fishing this weekend. I've got a lot of very out of the way spots to hit and some electronics to test. I know that I'm very curious about CR especially since there are plus 50' and big trout in there besides my beloved smallies. Do you have wheels yet? One lake which is hidden in the woods doesn't get anyone there. Its app. 1/3 mile in by trail. It may be years since it was last fished. Its not on any map I've ever seen including topos. We'd have it to ourselves I'm sure as it can't be shore fished and you can't even launch a tube there.

Ken, there's a definate reason why I reccomended that yak for you. I'm in the same general need of kayak type as you and if I only could own one kayak for all my fishing it would be an Explorer. The versatility of the craft is phenominal. Lots of storage, light weight, manuverable both on and off the water, it fishes well and will handle anything from small waters to the surf easily.

I took a maiden voyage in a SIK yesterday at Union. I was hooking up with Helio and Magilla joined us. The wind was blowing, as usual, and the SIK didn't have any accessories mounted. Rep told me to mount anything I wanted but I wasn't going to do that on a yak that I'd never paddled. Every now and then a wave, which were often substantial, came over the side. No where for the water to go as I hadn't brought a sponge or pump with me. Boy do I like SOTs. This reinforced it. Calmer waters and accessories and the SIK would have been OK. Did I mention that I really like SIKs? It had good speed at 13'. It also caught more wind than the 2 SOTs that I was with (Cobra Tourer and FnD).

family and my legs, see the workstation post, rule sunday out. Monday could work for me. I hope make a trial mount on my FF tommorrow. I would guess that CR has never had its FF cherry broken.

I have no idea where my deep trolling trout stuff is but maybe I could find it tommorrow.

There are those in a position to know who swear the state Brown trout record was caught in the Wanaque.

CR had a FF on it once when John Stan joined me. It was windy so we stayed in the central islands but crossing the channel we found mid 40 depths with the water being down a ways. John marked a bunch of fish suspended at 20'. Vertical jigs will be in the arsenal.