Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LIStriper

Blade Flex

9 posts in this topic

Picked up a FnD from JonS a few weeks ago and after the first half a dozen or so times, I love it.

To blow JonS's horn a bit, I received excellent advice, good service and would recommend anyone looking for a kayak to give him a look see.

Now my question.

I am using the Cobra Powerflex paddle and when paddling hard I feel the blade flex backwards.

Is this normal or is it a flaw in my stroke?

Thanks

------------------

LIStriper

LIS

Congrads on the yak, JonS is quite good. Got an explorer off him a couple weeks ago. wink.gif

Beleive we both have the same paddles, I have had no problems with mine BUT

Was out the first time with it last week and really seemed like i couldn't get a rythm goinfrown.gif

Well i happen to read Sit on Top Kayaking By Tom Holtey and figured out why.. I was holding the paddle tight with BOTH hands, (this you don't do with a feathered paddle, the blades off set from each other)

Your suppose to hold with the right hand and rotate it in the other(depending if your right or left handed).......Man, what a differencewink.gifwink.gifwink.gif And it makes it 10 times easier to paddlesmile.gif

I have really pulled back a few times with it but no flexing like you discribe.

Hope this helps.

Walt

------------------

Swfly99@cs.com

[This message has been edited by Swfly (edited 09-06-2001).]

While on the subject of paddles I have two questions.I also have a feathered paddle and was wondering which direction the feathering should point while in the water?Forward or backward.I understand with the feathered paddle you should off set the paddle faces and rotate shaft in hand,but why?I am going to pick up one of these books on kayaks for winter reading but am questioning certain things.

Sanddog

The cupping part, as i call it, faces rear to catch the most water. The reason to rotate it in one hand is it's much easier than locking both hands on it, otherwise your twisting your wrist, so to speak, and after awhile it gets fatuiging and hurtsfrown.gif

Also, when rotating it you face the other blade to it's proper position in the water. Give it a try paddling easy and you'll see the differencewink.gif

Walt

------------------

Swfly99@cs.com

[This message has been edited by Swfly (edited 09-07-2001).]

LIStriper - thanks for the good word. You to Walt.

As to flex, that's a fairly stiff blade on the Powerflex. My paddle flexes much more. I would imagine that some flex is necessary to act a bit as a shock absorber but to much would rob energy. I'll ask some people who know a lot more than me and post their answers.

The powerflex is the lightest most durable paddle for the money. It has a lifetime breakage guarantee. The flex as the name sugest is part of the design. It loads during the stroke and releases at the end giving you a shot of power when you need it to stay on plane as you start the next stroke.You have to finish your stroke all the way to get this benefit. Most fisherman are lousy paddlers. They spend all their time in a kayak fishing and very little time perfecting their stroke. Your paddle should not move through the water. It should stay is exactly where you plant it and the boat should slide forward to pass by it. The easy way to master this is to concentrate on the upper arm pushing forward and forgeting about the lower arm pulling. The upper fists should finish in the center of your face with both elbows straight and the shoulder slightly rolled. Just like throwing punched at a bag in front of you. Think push-push-push-push-push. Your lower arm will pull back at just the right speed so that your paddle stays where you planted it. If you want to go straight keep your paddle shaft verticle and drag the blade alongside the side of the boat as it passes by. If you paddle with the shaft across your body you will turn from side to side and waist energy and time.

Barrell

Thanks Barrell,I used to occasionally paddle with the designer of the Cobra Strike and always used a wooden paddle. That paddle had a much stiffer feel than the power flex.

So, now I know flex is good.

One more question. The bottom of my FnD is wavey, is this normal?

Thanks

------------------

LIStriper

Because of the wide flat surface area it is probably impossible to get it perfectly flat in poly.

However we send back any boats that are excessive to the company for credit. We feel for what the customer is paying he should get a fairly good lookin boat.

Barrell