Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mrsinbad

Combo Fishfinder/GPS

6 posts in this topic

I've seen posts about the hand held GPS units, but does anyone use the combination fishfinder/gps/themometer? I think it would decrease the clutter on the deck.

Also, on the units that are WAAS enables, what does WAAS enabled mean? Does it or does it not HAVE WAAS in the unit?

WAAS is the newest GPS related upgrade. Supposed to be able to put an "X" on the ocean more reliably than anything else and then be able to return to that "X" accurately time and time again. Before WAAS there was DGPS for differential. WAAS uses radio signals to UP the satellite recivers to triangulate better (in simple words). Patented by Raython Technogolies. Supposed to much cheaper to operate as a navigation system than the Differential system. Right now, only Raython units can use the WAAS signals (because only Raytheon Satellites can use the technogolies), but the Government is pressuring Raytheon to release the technology to all users. Thus "WAAS enabled." Have the capability inside, but waiting for the switch to be turned on. This is accurate navigation (accurate to use to find the jetties in fog -IMHO, but still need radar to be super sure).

Government is pressuring Raytheon to release the technology to all users. Thus "WAAS enabled." Have the capability inside, but waiting for the switch to be turned on.

Eric G,

Interesting info. I have two Garmins (E-Trex Mariner and 76 Mariner) which are both WASS enabled. I can toggle WASS on, or off. When it is on, the accuracy, which is a measurement data that I can display via the software, leads me to think I am getting the WASS accuracy-something like down to 12 feet or so at times. I think WASS gives you i meter resoloution-right? Could it be that WASS is available to all of us right now-regardless of having a Raytheon unit? Asking cuz i dunno.

Thanks

WAAS was designed to use on commercial aircraft.I think its available to all.Its uses land based radio towers like EricG said to get rid of different atmospheric conditions that could corupt the accuracey of regular GPS.The FAA paid Raytheon to devolp it.

joev