Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
OtselicBill

Thigh straps on SOT's

10 posts in this topic

I'd like to add thigh(knee?) straps onto my Heritage Fisherman. I have some verbal descriptions but I could use more and especially would like to see some photos of proper placement. thanks.

The thigh band on that model coonects to the eyepad in the forward area of the footwell. The rear loops through the back band strap where it enters the loop thriugh the deck.

You are going the right route in getting thigh braces. Once you have paddled with them you will wonder how you did without them at all. They increase your paddling efficiency which translates into distance and you will be able to turn with 1/2 the effort. I don't know why more SOTer's are not using them. They don't get in the way and they don't add weight. I feel like I'm hamstrung when I get in a boat w/out them.

Get good ones, don't go for the cheapest. Surf to Summit sells a great pair for 38 bucks, worth every penny.

I could tell you, but it would cost you a guided trip to some BASS in your home waters.... biggrin.gifwink.gifbiggrin.gif

------------------

Joe

GO NAVY

g0404980.gif

[This message has been edited by JoeB (edited 06-21-2002).]

Thigh braces "lock" you into the boat. When you make a leaned turn you are pulling you legs together and using your lower half to make the turn.When paddling, you will be using more of your torso for the stroke. If your stroke is correct, at the end of the day your stomach should have gotten the most "pain".Your stroke will be more powerful. With braces I can get the side carries in the water while making a turn with my Tarpon. I have them on my Dart also. I have not found a need for a rudder yet.

If you have ever paddled a SIK, you are naturally bracing you legs to the outside against the hull. You can't do that on a SOT, thus the thigh braces.

The Fisherman/Sea Dart has unusually high cockpit sides for an SOT to begin with. The edges are also kinda sharp so braces might not do too much for you. Since they're not too expensive it might be worth giving them a try. If you get too agressive leveraging your boat you'll overcome your secondary stability (ie. you'll get very wet) I've used braces in surfing boats before but not boats from which I was fishing.

Thanks guys.

I think I will make the investment.

I was playing in some 3-4 foot waves yesterday off Newport, and it sounds like these straps could really help. Just to be better locked in and give me some leaning potential.

Thanks

Thanks beagle but I'm still a little confused about the nomenclature. Which eyes are which. Any digital photos available. It seems like there is a stock strap set that can be installed with existing eyes?