Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
big country

Help!!! Drifter VS Fish and Dive...

12 posts in this topic

Ok guys... Im 6'3" 310 and in the market for a used yak.

Ive narrowed it down to two choices..

OK Drifter and the Cobra fish and dive. I know the general differences between the two (Drifter is a Wetter ride), but what about peoples personal experience? just so you know, the difference in price is $175 (FND is more).

Eventually, I would want to add a fish finder etc, I dont want to totally deck it out, but minimally a fish finder..

Thanks,

BC

Big Country,I have fished out of a fish n' dive for two years and love every minute of it.Beside of the dry ride,the stability is awesome. Lots of room for a cooler,minnow bucket,fish finder and a dry bag with other items you like to bring along.It's not as slow as they say,it's how you paddle it.I have caught more big fish in it the passed two years than in ten years in my tin boat.

BC-

I haven't paddled both, but have been around both of them under fishing conditions (friends). Here's what I can offer:

Drifter:

Faster than the FnD by far. There is less storage under the deck than the FnD (FnD reins supreme in this regard). A bit narrower than the Cobra as well, but still a very stable kayak to fish from. Another bonus is the it is considerably lighter and easier to hanlde. From what I've read, the newer '04 Drifter has a redesigned seat that makes for a much drier ride.

FnD:

You ain't gonna flip it without serioulsy trying. Tons of below deck storage. Great hatches (all Cobras have great hatches IMHO). But at 36" wide (going from memory here) the kayak has little glide and is not a speed demon at all! From what I've seen, it is also more of a chore lifting the kayak on your truck than the Drifter. Lastly (and this is a problem with all the Cobras in my eyes) there is going to be some hull slap, given the shape of the kayak. I have an Explorer and the hull slap is not something I am very fond of to be honest. The less noise the kayak makes on the water, the better my chances of hoking up with a fish on the flats!

Bottom line, it depends on what type of fishing your going to be doing--to an extent. If getting THE MOST stabile fishing patform, go FnD. If you'd like a great combination of (more) speed, a quieter ride with compromises in below deck storage and overall stability, go Drifter.

My $0.02. biggrin.gif

Joe,

Well done... My thoughts are as follows... I really dont mind the wet ride. 95% of the time if Im fishing, Ill have either a wetsuit or waders on. (wetsuit, if Im fishing in the yak, and waders if Im using the yak to get to a spot to surf fish.). For pleasure or exercise, Ill be wearing a bathing suit as it will be warm out, so I dont care if I get wet. now, the storage thing is a big issue.. If the OK had more below deck storage, it ouwl be a no brainer. Im looking into ways of mounting a fish finder, I see no way to do it on the OK, where the Cobra is perfect for that kinda stuff.. Plus the Cobra has a nice little "butt print" on the bow where my daughter can sit if I take her for a ride with me. I think Im going Cobra even with the extra cash.

How does $500 just for the yak (no seat, paddle, etc) sound price wise, Fair? the yak has two storage compartments and 1 rod holder installed, what do you think?

BC

Joe,

Well done... My thoughts are as follows... I really dont mind the wet ride. 95% of the time if Im fishing, Ill have either a wetsuit or waders on. (wetsuit, if Im fishing in the yak, and waders if Im using the yak to get to a spot to surf fish.). For pleasure or exercise, Ill be wearing a bathing suit as it will be warm out, so I dont care if I get wet. now, the storage thing is a big issue.. If the OK had more below deck storage, it ouwl be a no brainer. Im looking into ways of mounting a fish finder, I see no way to do it on the OK, where the Cobra is perfect for that kinda stuff.. Plus the Cobra has a nice little "butt print" on the bow where my daughter can sit if I take her for a ride with me. I think Im going Cobra even with the extra cash.

How does $500 just for the yak (no seat, paddle, etc) sound price wise, Fair? the yak has two storage compartments and 1 rod holder installed, what do you think?

BC

Regarding the wet ride, I agree completely. icon14.gif I also have a Perception Swing that is viewed by some friend's as a very wet ride...does bother me in the least.

True, the Cobra is very condusive to adding accessories. However, there are a great many ways to mount a FF on a kayak... for example, a simple electronics mount (Scotty makes one for--I think--$19.99) gets the job done nicely. All that is needed is a ~ 2" x 4" flat area to install the base.

As for taking kids on the yak, it is always nice to have this option...especially with the great stability of the kayak and young ones on board!

Assuming the yak is in good condition, it sounds very reasonable.

PS. Check yer PMs biggrin.gif

BC,

Hull slap is the least of your concerns. The Ride MUCH faster - i question that. Don't forget, ya need a yak that can get a 50# back to shore wink.gif

Oz-

You are most likely correct, as I re-read my post and probably over-emphasized the "MUCH faster" aspect. There is, however, and noticable difference, especially w/r/t how the kayak glides between strokes. And I also agree that hull slap, in the grand scheme of things is a minor issue, but it is one that after being in other kayaks I have found that it would (and has wink.gif ) factored into my decision when buying additional kayaks. smile.gif

PS. I seem to remember the fact that you have an FnD, correct? wink.gif If you fish the GSB area, we should hook up this spring... icon14.gif

Definitly the FnD, much safer, stable etc, put a low back seat up forward facing aft for the youngster, huge storage, very comfortable. My 6 ft 6, 260 lb son can make his plane when he sees birds diving!

The OK Drifter is a lot faster than the Fish n Dive. It's true!!! Everyone I know that has a FnD that I fished with were left waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay behind. The Drifter has plenty of stability I can stand on mine on calm water I'm 6'4" and 250lbs. Drifter also has a lot more glide than the FnD.

Im looking into ways of mounting a fish finder, I see no way to do it on the OK

I have a fish finder 3 rod holders and a GPS mounted on mine so it can be done. Very easily set up.

Hey Flyrodder...I was waiting for you to chyme in here!

Been busy tying up the last of the flies I'll need for the year. Also getting everything cleaned up and in tip top shape for the striper season to start. biggrin.gifcool.gif