Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bill Klein

DelMarVa Fishin' Reports; February 2013

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Here's the second of our usual trio of winter season fishin' reports in the monthly format; back to the bi-weekly routines - and hopefully some nice fish - come April, if not a few just a bit sooner than that.

As always, this is the place for your reports... as little or as much detail as you care to share, with hopefully a good bit less focus posted on exact spots and locations. Any and all word from the local waters welcome here, and "no fish" reports are welcome as well; always good to have gotten out there at least, wasn't it? ;)

I was feeling unlucky here at the start of Feb since Jan was a bust w/ zero fish caught! Surf water has been @ lock-jaw temps (40 deg.) and the past couple of days fishing were a continuation of zero fish caught. Whether has been cold to very cold w/ a lot of wind so my effort was minimal at best.

Poppy

Did a little Yellow Perch recon on Sat & Sun, last hour of outgoing tide on a local tidal creek, and pleasantly rewarded with several fat YP, and plenty of soft subtle taps (to be expected in 30'ish water). Also released three small rockfish, which is the earliest I've caught them off my dock. They usually don't show until sometime in March when the herring start in the creek.

The YP perch bite has started a couple weeks early than past years which is a good sign... I usually start scoring on them around Valantines day or third week in Feb.

Might not be surf fishing the beach, but the smell of perch sure beats that of skunk.

I fish AI, haven't been there since the first weekend in December. Caught a 30 lb striper then. I've had the itch all winter to go back. Planning on going the last weekend in March. Hopefully the temps and fish gods are on my side.

February’s fishing for me has been very slow…I fished several places along the DelMarVa coast and also checked out some other places ;)... The wind, cold fronts and cold water (as low as 38 degrees on the infrared t-mometer) has all but shut it down… I caught 1 dink SB out of the surf for the month… Imagine that; I only caught 1 fish :shock:…I must be slippin’ :laugh:

Poppy

Anyone fish Broadlill - the bridge before you get to the town? My son and I killed it there last year in mid Aptil, but were going down right after Easter this year. Also, what about Silver Lake for bass? Heard there was a fish kill there, is it still good? Have to catch something until the SB show up.

Fished hatteras and ocacroke the second week of March. Didn't catch anything, saw one guy pull in a puppy drum but that was it. Think I'll be headed to Assateague first week of june.