Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bobfishgerald

Looking for fly/spinning rod holder

6 posts in this topic

I've been useing my Scotty spinning rod holder to hold my fly rod. It is secure enough that I don't worry about loosing it when I'm not fishing. When troling the drag may not work well as the rod holder may interfear with the spool when line is being let out. I keep a nervous eye on the rod, a large fish may break the rod or swim away with it if the spool is jammed in the rod holder.

Ct. Don

scotty mkes a flyrod holder that fits in the same mount as the spinning rod holder. You could just put one mount on and switch the holders as needed. When I carry a flyrod along I strap it in the spare paddle lash on my Hobie outback.

Barrell

Scotty has the best fly rod holder, but for everything else I go RAM. They have a "rod holder" that'll hold a fly rod. Ram is infinitely adjustable, doesn;t sit as flat as a scotty when off the yak. But Having just used a scottyf or a week of fishing in Turks and Caicos....RAM is the answer for me. I use the ram rocket launcher and put a peice of PVC pipe with a cut out to hold the fly rod. Scott

The Scotty Power Lock (#230) will hold a fly rod and a spinning or casting rod. If you are into trolling flies I would buy Scotty Fly Rod holder (#265) for a more secure mount. You can purchase extra Scotty's without base and save a couple of bucks.