Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dubs

Anchors, weights and style!

6 posts in this topic

Just wondering what types of anchors and weights your all using. While fishing with JonS the other night I noticed that he had the anchor that I was going to pick up, the 1 1/2 lbs grapling type anchor, instead I picked up the 3 lbs in the same style. I notice that with the strong wind and the current that we were fishing, the 1 1/2 lb anchor was not holding that well, but the 3lb that I was using was rock solid. Originally I thought I had picked up an anchor that was to big and would be nothing but a hasle but it worked out quite well. The area that we were fishing is usually a light current (3 to 4 knots) with a muddy bottom.

The question is what types of ancors would you suggest for the above conditions and do you have any suggestions as far as fishing say the Delaware River with a typically rocky bottom?

Thanks! biggrin.gif

------------------

-----------------------

Dubs a.k.a., Charlie

dubs@stripersonline.com

Dubs i've got a 3# anchor just like yours on order. Nobody's got them in stock. A friend suggested sash weights for river anchors and wouldn't you know it I stopped at my local hardware store and they threw them out just the other day.

I now have a rope setup that you'd recognize. Tomorrow I'll be mounting a couple of flush rod holders. I still need some of those rubber paddle clips. They'd be nice for the front tip of the fly rod. I've got a setup to attach it in the rear. Soon I'll have everything setup to eliminate the crate behind me. I just made a drift sock/anchor which I'll test next time out. Last I got a Scotty flush mount adapter for my Cabelas/Scotty fly rod holder.

The typical, take out, 1 QT Won-Ton soup container works well.Drill a hole in the top lid; a bit smaller than the diameter of the eye bolt you use. Clean ,dry, and rough up the ID of the container and fill it with concrete.Push the eye bolt thru the lid and thread a hex nut on,near the bottom,followed by the largest washer that will hold ,and secure that with a 2nd hex nut.Insert the bolt into the crete and snap the lid on ...leaving a little gap,to let things dry out, while still holding the circle shape. Watch it for three days ! It's rust proof and won't scratch the hull.With the extra crete... make enough for your friends!I tie a bongie cord from the yak to the line ;this eases the wave action and keeps the hull from going down when your anchored.I use one on the Delaware and two on the back bays,which allow me to position the boat.

[This message has been edited by olmanc (edited 08-19-2000).]