Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TimS

Deep scratches and gouges

14 posts in this topic

I beat the snot outta my Loon 138 when snooping around in the dark. What's the best way to get those deep scratches and gouges out of the bottom? Is it important to get them out or no big deal?

I'm wondering what impact a shredded bottom has in the course of paddling 4 or 5 miles - does it make a big difference having a butter smooth bottom on the yak?

Thanks in advance smile.gif

TimS

An article I read said a badly scratched hull can increase paddling resistance by 10-20 pct. This was about sea kayaks but I would take that as a guide. Repair isn't that easy amd probably not worth it. I don't know of any way except melting plastic. I would say don't worry about them too much except maybe shave or sand off any protruding lips or curly stuff around the edges of the deep gouges. It'll make you a 10-20 pct fitter guy.

I thought this was good info, posted this once before. Maybe Tim can get a read before the Link Police come. wink.gif Only kidding, I don't think there's any objectionable material at this site.

Repair Guide

Tim,

There are various epoxy polymers available for plastics in paste form which after completely dry are sandable. Though I have filled plastic substrates successfully, I have not done it on yaks. You however most definately should prepare each crack considerably by gouging it to a "V" like pattern that way epoxy has a less of a chance to pop out due to expansion and contraction. You can try an epoxy called PC-7 which is commonly available in finer hardware stores. After cure, fine sand it the area. Hope this helps.

Pete.

Thanks JimW, I saved it - pretty much says what the folks here have said, which certainly adds validity to what the folks here have said icon14.gif Cut the flaps off with something sharp, maybe sand down the rough spots - and if brave, fill the gouges like Pete said smile.gif

I'm gonna do the cut and sand and will let the gouges remain as battle scars icon25.gif

Montauk Pete, shoot me an email sometime, I tried to email you a while back and I think it bounced. Thanks.

TimS

I truly cannot say what I am feeling re: the "LINK POLICE" comment. Perhaps there are some users who simply cannot appreciate what a difference it makes in this forum for the answers to be both free and unbiased by commercial conflicts of interest.

If the "LINK POLICE" are indeed casting pearls before swine, please send me a PM. If I recieve an sufficient amount of negative feedback, I will remove myself as an administrator of this forum.

I hold that door open for anything that moves. Old men, children, as well as the ladies. But I expect the gesture to be acknowleged. If I don't get my "thank you", next time I see that face, I DON'T hold it open. In other words, if my contribution is unappreciated, I'll go quietly. Entirely up to you, the users. This forum exists for YOU, not me. There were no East Coast boards when I started Kayak-fishing. I had to learn from the Left Coasties, folks like Jim Sammons and Dennis Spike. I will willingly share what I have learned, so long as it's clearly understood that I am still learning myself. Anchor trolleys, internal batteries/transducers, drift socks, livewells, milk-cartons, rodholders, even sails have all been done before. There is no need to re-invent the wheel. Kudos to Tim for recommending something he may be out of. Unfortunately, most merchants recommend what they are overstocked with, or even more insidious, recommend whatever has the biggest markup! Only a forum free from commercial interests can examine the true pros and cons of a subject.

It never ceases to amaze me that some people own a half dozen models in succession before finding the one they will stay with. They should have tried them instead of buying. I still paddle the same kayak I picked initially, not because something better hasn't come up, but because it is so damn suited for it's job. Every year, I find a new modification to incorporate. I don't mention the model because I don't want to prevent someone from doing his/her own research.

Ammodyte, I believe the "link police" is an affection terms referring to SOL's long standing no commercial links policy smile.gif I certainly wouldn't take it personally if I were you, I think you are doing an excellent job in this forum smile.gif

There are times when a link is appropriate - such as in this thread - the link JimW put up goes directly to purely information page on a manufacturers website - and the link is absolutely relevant to the discussion. Excellent, love it icon14.gif

If we're the link police Ammodyte, you can be the good cop, I'll be the bad cop HappyWave.gif

TimS

Ooops.

Ammodyte, Please don't take offense at that, none intended. I appreciate that you give your time to the forum. I know you have to check that posts are within the rules, just a lame joke.

Hey Tim,

It's those Jack Yee photos taking up the room in my hotmail account. Great shots he takes! and that's why e-mail bounces occasionally.

Anyhow, I sent you an e-mail, hope you got it.

Regards,

Pete.

Tim, aside from being site policy, "no commercial links" agrees with my philosophy of and independent and unbiased forum. In this case, YOU'RE the "good cop". I would insist on that policy on ANY board I administer (co-administer). My PM's have been silent, so I must be doing SOMETHING right!