Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Porter

Misc. rigging thingies (long w/ pics)

6 posts in this topic

Since rigging seems to be the topic de-jour, and none of us seem to be on the water today (awfully snotty down here in MD w/ George remnants), I thought I'd share some other simple modifications I've done. Also, I wanted to get these on before I forget how to post pictures.

Here's my small day-trip cooler for water/bait/panfish or whatever. My Dolphin has a squared-off recess in the front of the tankwell area that fits this cooler perfectly, but for safety I wanted it secured into the boat. I got tired of having the bungees over the top, necessitating complex gymnastics to access the contents, so I attached the small hooks shown w/ short stainless wood screws.

ff61e7a1.jpg

Next are a series of shots showing my roof rack quick attachment system. First, from the stern you can see both of the hard attachment points (slightly out of focus).

ff61e0d3.jpg

The next two are close-ups of the same points. One side is a simple pin that snaps in and the other side is a long shank "American" brand lock w/ the perfect size shank to replace the pin. This way I can, and do, leave the yak on top of my jeep most of the time, and I don't worry about it sprouting legs.

ff61e78f.jpg

ff61e793.jpg

Finally, this shows the front cross bar w/ rope tie-downs. The lines are dead-ended permanently onto the cross bar (not visible). From there they (there are two, one on each side of the boat) run up through one scupper hole and down through the other (both footwell), through the heavy padeye mounted to the crossbar (in the shadows under the boat, it's the shiny thing), then into the jam-cleats (black, just visible on the end). The bitter end of both lines is formed into a loop and the lengths are perfectly matched so I can tighten it down with one pull, then the loops are held taught by the bungee w/ hook visible under the crossbar.

ff61e797.jpg

All told, it takes me 2-3 minutes to put it on the roof and <1 to take it off. Plus, it's rock solid on the highway, to well over legal highway speeds, or so I'm told (LOL).

I'll leave you guessing for now exactly what that piece of hardware is that I've used for the hard points. If it gets painful, I'll chime back in.

Chris

[This message has been edited by Porter (edited 09-19-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Porter (edited 09-19-2000).]

Porter

Nice setup but see something and have to ask.

On your roof you have a similar factory roof rack that i had on my gm wagon. I bolted a board across as you did to stop a LOUD Hum I had when the car went over 35 mph. Tryed the block setup also used when you don't have a roof rack, still the same. Added rubber bungee cords etc.

The hum was almost deafening frown.gif

What I had was a 12ft old towne canoe on it.

Do You have this problem????

Thanks

Walt

Swfly,

I know it's kind of hard to see in some of those pics, but the board in not actually touching the factory rack at all. It sits clear above on rain gutter brackets from a company out in CA called "Quick and Easy Products" (look at the last pic again). I've not had any NVH (noise/vibration/harshness) problems from either my factor rack or the cobbled together aftermarket rack.

I will say though, that the bracket/board combo I have can't be beat for capacity (rear crossbar has one bracket each end and the front one has two at each end, I won't hesitate to stand on either). I've car-topped a 400+ pound sailing dingy to southern florida and back a couple times and once put almost 1000# of drywall on the roof for a short, slow trip of about 5 miles. Of course I wouldn't try that without the really heavy rain gutters my old jeep has.

Chris

Check this link out:

http:www.nocweb.com/store/racks.htm

The brackets are down at the bottom of the page. I bought mine direct from the manufacturer and I think I paid a little less (it was almost 5 years ago) and they sold me an additional "half kit" beacause I wanted six brackets total. Beyond the brackets all you need is something sturdy to function as a crossbar and some good bolts to make the attachments at each end. As you can see from the pictures, mine are wood 2x's. Most people take that route but I've seen all sorts of thinks up to 2" x 2" tube steel; probably overkill and not the best idea on aluminum brackets.

BTW, your car does have raingutters, right?

Porter