Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jack keller

hobie?

4 posts in this topic

after a long time i've decided to get back into kayaking. i have lost my right hand so i can't paddle but the hobie might be the ticket. I've got two questions.

1) is the pedal mechanism a line magnet? i fear getting a fly line wrapped up in it.

2)has anyone ever used a two handed fly rod in one of these things? or should i just get out and wade?

I don't own a Hobie Jack, but I'm sure some of the Hobie-owners will rave about their choice before long. The Hobie-owners seem to be a very brand-loyal bunch.

The same caveat applies in your case, YOU MUST TRY ANYTHING THAT YOU ARE CONSIDERING. That being said, with only one hand available, Hobie seems to be a natural choice, since most Hobie owners would rather hold their rod than paddle. They are enamored with the "hands free" nature of the beast.

Bottom line? It may be just what you want/need, but you aren't gonna find that out on a computer. You must actually take a Hobie out for a test ride (IMO).

I've never had a problem w/ my fly line catching in the peddles. Being up front they are mostly out of the way.

The rudder control is a problem that I have to correct. It always catches the line. There is a post on (another site)that had a fix I have to get back to.

The Hobie is a fishing machine. I have 3 other yaks and will probably never fish out of one of them again.

Just too easy to peddle and fish.

I use mine in fresh and salt and love the way it handles.

You might want to check out (another site) for a lot of good info on kayaks.

Good Luck

[ 12-24-2004, 01:00 AM: Message edited by: AMMODYTE ]