Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hoplite

Quck release for anchor/drift sock

5 posts in this topic

If you get a big fish on and he wants to tow you around a bit, but you have one of these slowing your boat down, i believe it might screw things up. Hve any of you attached a boat bumper/floating device between your yak and anchor/drift sock with a quick release on it so you can leave it there while you fight the fish and go paddle to it afterwards, or would it drift too far away resulting in losing it?

A bumper float is way to big. Just get a plastic float 3"X 5" for a $1.50 from Walmart. It will do the job when using an anchor and it is needed. But don't use it on a drift chute cause chances are you won't find it again. Plus if you have the right set up with the drift chute system you can easily change the angle of your kayak while fighting the fish just by pulling on the rope.

[This message has been edited by FLYRODDER (edited 06-30-2002).]

You could use a foam float found on the beach. Cut it down a little, feed the line thru the hole and have a knot at the end as a stop....works every time. FLYRODDER'S observation about the drift sock is good but snapping on a float in an emergency could be a good idea.

[This message has been edited by saltyh2ofly (edited 06-30-2002).]

Try using a large shark-rig float, Mine is probably 8"x 4". The trick is not too large or too small. The current will drag a smaller float under the surface, due to the drag on your anchor line.

My float will keep on top in steady current holding 45 feet of 1/4" line with a brass clip on top of the float for release.

Hop that helps........Terry Mac