Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ed J

Another depth finder install

23 posts in this topic

Battery(s) in front hatch (Cobra F-N-D). I had no shrink tubing so I used a crimp connector to join the 2 wires, surrounded it with silicone. The duct tape is just there to keep the silicone from getting on everything. The batteries are just 6 volts from Wally world; they have screw connectors on top. I used simple U connectors to attach to the batteries. *Note the fuse, safety first wink.gif.

install1battery.jpg

This is how I mounted the bracket to the deck and ran the wires, the tape is to hold them temporarily in place.

install2.jpg

The bracket in place.

install3bracket.jpg

The top side installation is complete

install4done.jpg

installanotherdone6.jpg

I'm still undecided about the transducer mounting, so I just put it in a bag of water, I'll give it a try today and see how it works.

install5transducer.jpg

Full Veiw smile.gif

fullveiw.jpg

I'd like to thank every body for their help. I've gotten a lot of good ideas from you and it made things go a lot smoother.

------------------

Ed J

edj@stripersonline.com

[This message has been edited by Ed J (edited 02-16-2002).]

A few more wink.gif

It works smile.gifitworks.jpg

Rod holder installation. I used the piece left by the hole saw to plug up the opening of the rod holder.

This pic is the sealer (white) on the bottom of the rod holder

rodholder1.jpg

This is the "plug" in place

rodholder2.jpg

------------------

Ed J

edj@stripersonline.com

Ed J,

Lookin' good there....

Sharp1

EDIT

Whoa Ed J,

It looks like that flush mount rod holder may be in the way of your paddle stroke. What up thereconfused.gif

Sharp1

[This message has been edited by sharp1 (edited 02-16-2002).]

Sharp 1,

I guess you mean this one:

badspotholder.jpg

If it is, you are correct. I can't paddle with a rod in that holder. It is strictly for holding the rod while landing a fish, changing baits etc.

I did take the boat out for a short while before sun down yesterday, and found that holder & the one mounted behind it much, much easier to use than the holders in the back of my seat. I also found that I was able to put a rod in the "fish landing holder" and use my paddle to reposition myself. I don't think I'd do more than a stoke or two with a rod in that holder, but I'm diggin the convenience of having it there already wink.gif.

On the transducer note, the bag of water seemed to work OK. I need to find a way to secure it so it stays positioned correctly, but for a temporary deal, it worked fine.

------------------

Ed J

edj@stripersonline.com

Ed,

Looks GREAT!

Nice & neat.

My ONLY concern at this time is whether or not to fill my thru-hull w/silicone for a quasi permanent situation or use the plug.

Going to West Marine today to check it out.

Again, very nice job.

Is the line your anchor system.

That's another consideration.

Don't know if I really need it or not.

DASBOOT

Das,

The rope is my anchor system. Real cheap too smile.gif.

It consists of some nylon camping rope (Wal-Mart) < $2. Two pullies up front that I swiped for a house sale my sister was doing (the lady who died has them rigged up to pull chain light in a storage room) So they were free smile.gif. And they are tie wrapped to the fore most loops on the bow.

I just put the rope through the too loops on the stern. I tied the rope together via ¾ nut form a romex connector (free). But I plan to change that, I just put it together yesterday to see if it worked.

Add in a $9 anchor from a boat shop and I'm in.

I test drove it yesterday, and it works like a charm. I still have some thing to figure out, like securing the rope to the ring and how much rope I'm going to carry, but it worked very well.

I did not use the silicone on the transducer; it's just in a bag of water. I figured if I went and got the stuff that has been recommended here I would not have been able to take the boat out yesterday, so I opted for the temporary water in the bag deal. But ya, I used the white that I bought by mistake for installing everything else, so it did not go to waste smile.gif.

------------------

Ed J

edj@stripersonline.com

Ed,

Nice jobicon14.gif

I like the functionality of that "don't paddle me" rod holder. Looks like it would be a really easy place to put a rod when tying stuff and landing fish...like you said. I Agree...the rod holders on the back are not the easiest reach.

So far I have balanced the rod in my lap...I'm gonna look into adding something like yours. I'll give it a few more trips to decide exactly what I may want to add.

DougC

Good job. It looks like you used a stainless steel rod holder. I would use the plastice ones instead to save on weight.

Santiagos method of placing the transducer in a foam foundation sounds like a winner. Its the one that I'd use.

Thanks fella's.

Like I said above, the information I've been reading here is what guided me through most, if not all of it. There was also a lurker who invited me to his house via e-mail. This would be a good time to show yourself Mike smile.gif. All this combined information was invaluable.

I was able to pick and chose the ideas I liked or change them slightly to what I though would work best for me. I also wanted to do at least ½ a dozen trips fishing in it before I permanently mounted anything, I did, so I felt good about drilling big gaping holes in my hull . cwm31.gif

I still have one more rod holder to add, I still want to put one in front of me (I think) but I'll hold off on that till I catch a few fish trolling with the set up I currently have. Then I'll be able to decide if I really need it or not.

Jon,

The rod holders are plastic 4 fer $20. I'm way too cheap wink.gif to buy them Stainless ones, they were like $25 each icon15.gif.

------------------

Ed J

edj@stripersonline.com

So you all know, I went to West Marine & Boater's World to find the thru-hull electrical plugs.

Neither of them had ANYTHING I could use!cwm23.gif

Most of what I was shown were metal donuts w/a rubber ring inside to hold tight against the wire.

I'm just gonna silicone the thru-hull opening and get it over with!!

I also looked at the pulleys for an anchor system.

Man those little f-----s are expensive!!!

I'll look in Home Depot.

what i wanna know is where ya been thats got 10' water cwm13.gif holdin out again!!

cool bannana Ed. looks like yer pleased with it. so can i tie up when ya anchor?

DASBOOT don't get them from Home Depot you'll be sorry. They will rust out and won't work in short period of time. You'll have nothing but headaches. There expensive at boat stores cause they're made for saltwater. They will last a whole lot longer than anything you buy from H/Depot.