Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hoplite

Fishing Reynolds channel this weekend?

8 posts in this topic

Hi,

First post here. The name is Tom, im from franklin square. I will be purchasing my Yak tomorrow afternoon and will be taking it out friday to get familiar with it and then saturay to fish. I was wondering if there are any other kayakers who fish Reynolds channel and might want to help a newbie out

Hoplite-

Welcome to SOL HappyWave.gif

There are definately some folks from your area that fish from yaks. I'm sure they'll chyme in on this thread.

Now for the goods --> What are ya buying?

------------------

Joe

GO NAVY

g0404980.gif

either the aircraft carrier (FnD) or a scupper. Got to see what i like better. Not looking for a super long one just yet, but one that is stable and will carry a bunch of my stuff. Might also check out the Explorer they have in atlantic beach surf shop, although it is just a stripped hull.

[This message has been edited by Hoplite (edited 06-27-2002).]

Hoplite,

Welcome aboard. A yak is a fun way to go fishing for sure. I haven't been out since the beginning of June, kinda laid up, but I sure wish I was able to go.

Good luck on the maiden voyage and give a report back.

Dan

Hoplite, welcome to the forum. I understand that you're going to choose a kayak and then go fishing the next day in a channel? I highly reccomend getting some experience first and seriously think about it. Read the thread posted by roughseas0 and his first experience. A weekend of nice weather in big water with a new kayak isn't a very good prescription. The boaters will be out in droves. Are there some shallow flats that you can at least go to? Also your kayak choices seem to be broad. The FnD and Scupper are very different kayaks.

If you want to try a bunch of yaks I'm doing a demo day this Saturday. It might be worthwhile for you to try a bunch of yaks and meet several guys who have some experience under their belts with yakfishing.

[This message has been edited by JonS (edited 06-27-2002).]

Hoplite, Welcome to the site, "read, ask and learn" is a good motto here, better listen to your elders because practice makes perfect (and could save your life). We want you back to post your experiences so play it safe. I have the FnD and it is a very stable kayak and I like it for that reason. I fly fish and my movements are more pronounced than that of a spin/convetional fisherman so I like my "aircraft carrier". Good luck, hope all the info you get here helps you make the right decisions.

JonS even though its called Reynolds Channel theres a lot of big calm open water back there especially around the Island Park area. But I do agree with you Tom should stay away from the actual channel.