Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tony P

Which kayak to buy?

21 posts in this topic

I'm thinking about purchasing a kayak to fly fish from.Can anybody recomend some manufacturers to look at. Most of my fishing is done on the L.I.sound.I have spoken to a few salesman but am not sure I am being led in the right direction.Thanks

Welcome to the board Tony you've come to the right place, you will get excellent advice here, it's very knowledgable and helpfull group of people and a number of them Flyfish from Yaks. JonS is the fellow to contact, and I'm sure others will chime in also. I'm a newbie with the yak so I'll leave the reccomendations to the others, but Cobra's and Wilderness systems are popular boats with this crowd. One thing about most salesman is they don't fish from yaks, the people here do. Good luck and again welcome to the board.

Frank

Tony, welcome to the forum. This is a terrific sport and you're going to love it. Your average kayak shop is a lousy place to shop for a kayak. Unless the person you're dealing with regularly fishes from a kayak you're getting useless info. I do fish from a kayak alot and I fly fish too. Today we're having a demo day at Raritan Bay. If you could attend it would be invaluable, if you can't do some research here and other places.

A good choice for the Sound would be the WS Ride. You can actually stand on it and site cast. Here's a pic of Joey doing just than.

Ridestanding1.jpg

Wilderness Systems-The Ride, Tarpon

Cobra Kayaks-FishNDive,Tourer

Ocean Kayaks-Drifter,Scrambler XT

Try all of them out and decide for yourself which 1 you like the most. I flyfish from my Drifter and 2 of my friends flyfish from there Scrambler XT and FishNDive.

I would add the ocean kayak scupper pro tw to the list, great fishing yak and very stable, I've only dumped it on purpose in two seasons i have owned it, try before you buy. Welcome to the board. dave

------------------

Dave Collinsupload.gif

I fly fish out of my Fish n Dive and love it because it is very stable. Now granted it isn't the fastest horse in the bunch but since fly fishing and upper body movement are mentioned in the same breath I considered stability first. Also this thing is very tough to tip over, it take as big effort to TRY and do that! But as mentioned above and it will be mentioned again...try before you buy. Jon had a Demo Day on the Raritan Bay that had just about eveything except the Ocean Kayak series. If you live in South Jersey then Barrell is the guy to visit. Keep an eye out for the next Demo Day... a great time to try lots of kayaks and you'll meet others in the sport with good ideas and first hand experience.

Any thoughts on the tarpon. It looks great.How is the stability compared to the fish&dive? Can you stand on it? I know I'm gonna have to try them out but I"m trying to narrow the field.

Kayaks you can stand on:

WS The Ride as pictured above

OK Drifter

Cobra FishNDive

My guess is you could also stand on the Tarpon but I'm unsure of the footing you'll have on the kayak. But it will take time for anyone to get the nerve to do it. If you don't mind taking a fall or 2 in the water you will master standing on a kayak quickly. Otherwise if you don't like taking a dip it will take some time to get used to it. Once you get rid of the fear factor you'll be fine with any of the kayaks I listed.

An enthusiastic "hell NO" regarding whether or not you need to stand on a yak to fly fish. I have a blast chucking my 9# from my Explorer and manage just fine. wink.gif

Though I have never done it, I assume that standing from a yak would afford the fisherman the opportunity to do the traditional "site fishing" that one normally associates with flats boating in the south. icon14.gif

------------------

Joe

GO NAVY

g0404980.gif

You definately don't need to stand to fly fish from a kayak however it is a nice feature. The Tarpon doesn't have a good area for standing.

Tony, where do you plan on using the kayak the most. That will have a lot to do with your choice. All kayaks that we use for fishing are compromises. You need to decide which features you want the most and which you can live without. there isn't a perfect yak for fishing and there never will be.

------------------

baja55@optonline.net

[This message has been edited by JonS (edited 08-05-2002).]

Most of my fishing will be done on the north shore of L.I. I didn't mean to suggest that you would have to be able to stand on the boat to fly fish. I have done some good sight fishing for bass out on the east end out of a center console and thought it would be a good option.Would the fish&dive be a good boat for the north shore?

Marksharky you don't have to stand up on the yak to flyfish from it. But if you could stand on the yak while fishing a sand flat you'll catch or at least see a whole lot more fish as compared to sitting.