Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Tragedy in Milford

2 posts in this topic

I posted this in the CT forum also, but figured it was relevant here also.


Just heard about this, I can't believe anyone was out in this mess let alone an eleven footer, I saw the coast guard heading over there, they were having trouble. This from the wtnh website. God rest their souls.


Two bodies, a boat found on Milford shoreline


(Milford-WTNH, Oct. 19, 2002 8:30 PM) _ It was a rough day to be out on the water especially if you are in a small boat and you have problems. That is what Milford police think happened to two men today.


The first 911 call came in from a woman who could not believe what she saw washed up on shore.

"I thought I saw something out there but I wasn't sure. You could see something floating," says Mary Jean Hevesy.


From her mother's Milford beachfront window Mary Jean could see the choppy rough whitecaps and then something else- a body. That's when she called 911.


"I was so flustered. She said what's the phone number here. I couldn't think of it," says Mary Jean.


Shortyly thereafter Dave Dyer came across an engine just a short distance away from an 11 foot outboard boat.


"A mercury outboard motor about 15-feet further, and I was going to haul those ashore, then I stepped over a bundle assuming it was something from the boat. It was just a, I thought it had broken loose. It turned out that it was a body," says Dyer.


The 911 call brought Milford Police Department, the Coast Guard and Trooper One to the scene at Field Court.


About one hour later a second call came in.


"At 12:34 P.M., we recieved a second call of a body being washed up on shore in the area of 75 Melba Street," says Officer Vaughan Dumas.


Milford police say they believe the two men set out to fish, but they had a couple of things against them. Rough water, a small boat and engine problems.


"Investigators found a metal lead from a fishing line entangled in the prop of the boat. It is believed that that interfered with the operation of the motor causing the boat to lose power," says Officer Vaughan Dumas.


Milford police say they found life jackets on the boat, but it appears that neither man was wearing one. The men had to battle forceful waves and cold water. It's a battle that both men would lose.


"Even if they had life jackets on, hyperthermia sets in really quickly and it is possible that something could have happened with the hyperthermia and the rough seas out there. The results might not have been any different if they were wearing their lifejackets," says Officer Vaughan Dumas.


Police identify the two deceased men as 24-year-old Keith Mazerolle and 30-year-old Mark Sapaski, both from Shelton.



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.