Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
scoop

would this be stupid?

9 posts in this topic

it looks like i'll be spending a week or two this summer at a location in florida that holds some tarpon, and i've convinced myself that my goal will be to catch one off the yak.

now, never having caught a tarpon, i'm hoping to pick up a few pointers. what fly patterns/tides/times/baits should i work with? should i even attempt this in a kayak? is this just a stupid idea?

i also plan to hit some redfish. any tips in that dept would be appreciated.

The book "Kayak Fishing, The revoloution" outlines every thing you need to do to catch Tarpon and Redfish from a kayak in Florida. There are gear lists and even pictures and step by step how to info. Go for it! Just carry a VHF radio with you just in case a 200#er tows you out to sea wink.gif

S1

i'd go for it. Lots of smaller tarpon will hit Mirrorlures, rebels, etc. Check out any flyfishing catalog for patterns. You can't catch if your not out there.

Scoop,

They're pulling in Thresher sharks on yaks.

Marlin too if I'm not mistaken.

And even if they're not, why shouldn't you be the first!

Sharpy suggested a good book.

The author is shown w/a tarpon as big as he is so GO FOR IT!!!!

Joe Blados once told me Crease Flys with a blue back have taken tarpon. I hooked one on a rusty red bunny strip with a marabou collar in about the same color. They love crabs and shrimp so thoes flys in a tarpon pattern would work (the shrimp flys seem to be more productive when the eye stems have a chartreuse/lime green eye). Good ideas above about the Florida Sportsman site. Just read all you can and when you get there ask questions....they have to have someone down there like the people on this site.."helpful"

thanks for all of the tips! the book is on its way, and it looks i'm actually fairly well equipped for this kind of fishing (especially with the schoolbus bombers wink.gif )

if i don't start posting again in early sept., send a search party smile.gif